Download Results as a .doc

Download Results as a .doc

by Craig Vanderlinden -
Number of replies: 9
Is there a patch that will allow for results to be downloaded as a .doc instead of .htm or .csv

I have tried just renaming the file to a .doc, which works sometimes, but others also causes file corruption.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Craig Vanderlinden

Re: Download Results as a .doc

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Craig,

The Download as text option produces a plain text file, and it should be possible to open it in any word processor. Re-naming a file with a different extension is never a good idea. If you like you can post here (or e-mail me directly, see my email in my profile) a questionnaire responses file which causes corruption when opend in MS Word so I can examine it.

When things "work sometimes" and sometimes don't, then it's up to the end-user to find out what makes things work differently.

Anyway I fail to understand why you would want to have the questionnaire results as a .doc document. The formatting will be meaninless and useless. The whole idea of the "download as text" feature is to provide a format which can be further processed either in a spreadsheet or in a stats package, i.e. it is meant to be used dynamically.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Craig Vanderlinden -
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for a quick reply. Usually the download as text would suffice, but we have images (graphs) embedded into our results. A text file would not preserve that.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Craig "...we have images (graphs) embedded into our results".
I don't understand how you can have graphs embedded in a Questionnaire's responses data.
Oh, are you actually talking about the Questionnaire plugin or the Quiz module?
I'm really confused now. Please, post a screenshot.
Joseph

by Craig Vanderlinden -
Here is a multiscreen shot.
questionnairewordcrashs.png

by Joseph Rézeau -

Craig,

That's interesting. Did you hack the Questionnaire files to produce that diagram?

Now I understand better your original question. What you want is to output the HTML All Responses page to a *.doc file. All the time I thought you meant you wanted to output the Download in text format file to *.doc!

However I have no solution to offer. Sorry,

Joseph

by Craig Vanderlinden -
In addition to this, I thought I would run one of the html files through the w3 validator. I know it provides extreme hypercorrection, but it did come up with 129 errors and 21 warnings on the particular file I was using.
Do you have any documentation on how the results html page is generated?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Try this.

1. Download as .htm.
2. Rename the .htm file to .doc.
3. Double-click on it

I don't know why word supports this, but it does, and that is effectively how ForumNG's export to Word feature works.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Craig Vanderlinden -
That is how I was working my export to .doc feature, until it started creating corrupt files.
But yes, this does work most of the time, but I have run into a few problems with this method.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Tim,
Doesn't work, I'm getting an error message when trying to open the renamed document (in Word 2003).
Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc