Summary page in Quiz v Moodle 2.0

Summary page in Quiz v Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I thought that if a student clicks next or end test to get to the summary page, it would highlight which questions they have and haven't answered. But I have tried it and it shows "answered" even if I haven't answered them. (Sorry if a) I have misunderstood or b) if this is still work in progresssmile)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Summary page in Quiz v Moodle 2.0

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is that happening with all question types? It should only change the state of the question if the student typed something, but it may be buggy, and whether it is buggy will depend on the question type.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well I tried it with four types - here is a screencast
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As far as I can see, that worked with the first three questions. Q1 and 3 you did not answer, and the state stayed as 'Started'. Q2 you answered, and that is what the summary said. Q4 (truefalse) you did not answer, but the state changed to answered anyway. Did I get that correctly?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Yes - that's correct. So when I click on the quiz even if I don't answer any questions it says I have "started" them because I have clicked on the quiz? And yes - the final one that I didn't answer said it was answered - not even "started"thoughtful
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Actually, in my question engine rewrite, I am using 'Not answered' instead of 'Started'. Which would people prefer in Moodle 2.0?

Please could you stick a bug in the tracker about the truefalse questiontype not working. Thanks.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
I would prefer "not answered" as I think it is less confusing than "started" - personally- and yes I will....
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
OK, I changed it.

It is not possible to distinguish visited and not-visited, and I don't see the point.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Itamar Tzadok -
The 'Not visited' is in fact the initial state of a question in a quiz before it is displayed for the first time. Then when the question is displayed for the first time, which is in the quiz page level, the state changes to 'Not answered', that is, when the page opens all the questions in that page change state to 'Not answered'.

The point is that students may inadvertently skip questions, especially in multi-page quizzes. That's a potential source of complaints which may indeed be unjustified as it should be the student's responsibility to make sure all questions are reviewed but should also be prevented at the outset if possible.

Another point is that this could be just another piece of useful statistics in certain cases (e.g. how many questions students actually manage to visit in a power test)

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Tim Hunt -
I understood what you were suggesting, but I still don't see the point of spending a lot of effort adding the code to track which questions the student has looked at. The key thing is, have they put in an answer.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Itamar Tzadok -
Fair enough. At present the key thing is certainly the amount of effort required to implement such a state and you are the best person to judge that.

But from the instructor's perspective and the administration's perspective preventing complaints is a major key since nowadays complaints arrive as a formal letter from the family's lawyer and handling such complaints may require quite a lot of effort too.

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Itamar,

I'm glad that in my 44 years of teaching I never got a single letter from my students' family's lawyers.black eye

Joseph

PS.- If you do get any such formal letters of complaint you might forward them to Tim who, I'm sure, would be quite pleased to answer them.wink

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Itamar Tzadok -
Yes, but administration may not be very happy with these answers. At any rate I won't forward any such complaints before 2.1 wink

What happens is that students go to program directors who are usually quite reluctant to go through the trouble of enforcing policy and so if a student and/or his/her parents are persistent enough the program director tries to "cut a deal" which often simply compromises the standards. This is quite frequent with cases of plagiarism where students are given an "option" to do a rewrite (although in the case of plagiarism I'm inclined to think that the fault is usually with the instructors rather than with the students)

smile
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Itamar Tzadok -
Actually there may be two relevant states here: not visited at all and visited but not answered. The former may be especially relevant where there is one question per page. So for the second 'Not answered' should work. The first may be 'Not visited' if implemented. smile