Possible Bug

Possible Bug

by web dzinez -
Number of replies: 9
Any post / topic that has a "less than" sign gets stripped. I am not even able to post an example on this board to explain the problem. Because every time I use "Less than" sign, the text after it gets completely stripped.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to web dzinez

Re: Possible Bug

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. I don't think it is a bug as such, but it is the fact that the "less than" sign along with the "more than" sign is part of coding and so Moodle thinks it is some code you maybe shouldn't be putting in. I have tried to do ‹ and › by getting them from here http://copypastecharacter.com/
In reply to Mary Cooch

by kathy chilvers -
I agree with Mary - Moodle is seeing it as part of the coding.  I have used typing in &lt; where I want < and
&gt; where I want >  to get the more than, less than symbols to show.
In reply to kathy chilvers

by web dzinez -
Wouldnt that result in a security issue that moodle is not escaping these characters .... If I or a user tries to run a server side php code I am guessing he will be able run it ....
In reply to web dzinez

by kathy chilvers -

Sorry I do not understand your comment. 

I am not a php person.....my reply was just from a simple understanding of Moodle is web based so therefore putting in a < sign from simple html coding it would be interpreted as as possibly as html tag and that is why you had the problem that you did.  I have found no security issues in typing in the correct code to create a < or > that I wished to appear in a quiz question.

It may be that I did not understand completely what you were asking about. 

In reply to kathy chilvers

by web dzinez -
I am not sure either, my understanding was anything that was being posted as html should be stripped otherwise there could be a security concern .. Is there a restriction on what html can be posted .. if not, then a hacker can deface a website by posting arbitrary html. Just a thought
In reply to web dzinez

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you want a really secure solution, then yes, the simple answer is never to let the user input HTML.

Unfortunately, for Moodle developers, communication and teaching is enhanced by being able to use richly styled content. So, we can't get around processing HTML. Therefore, we have a lot of code for cleaning up the HTML that in input, and it is that code that it stripping stuff that follows a < sign that does not look like a safe HTML tag. Note that this problem only occurs when you are not using the HTML editor.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Debora Weber-Wulff -
But Tim, what if the exam is on HTML? We are not all English teachers.... Moodle should not interpret HTML-Input, but enclose it in a preformatted tag. Same goes for programming code, which has lots of less than and greater than signs.

This problem seemed to have been solved and has now reappeared...
In reply to Debora Weber-Wulff

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you are teaching HTML, then you should know about the differences when using the HTML editor or not, and about escaping < as &lt; where appropriate.

Moodle should handle teaching both English and HTML just fine, and it should do so with good usability for students and teachers. However, it is hard, and we are not quite there yet.