Moodle without SCORM or SIS

Moodle without SCORM or SIS

by Mitchell Teixeira -
Number of replies: 2
Hello - I'm trying to learn all I can about Moodle as part of an online learning environment.

I have just learned the term SCORM today. What is Moodle without SCORM? Any respectful input is appreciated. I've searched high and low and can't find a checklist that clearly lists pros and cons of using SCORM with Moodle.

I also want to know about using a Student Information System with Moodle. It seems that some of the functionality between the two would be overlapping.

My goal is to develop an online learning environment with self-paced, accountable training modules; quizzes; and a syllabus with progress indicator.

Thanks for any guidance you might provide!

MitchellT
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitchell Teixeira

Re: Moodle without SCORM or SIS

by chong wang -

>>Hello - I'm trying to learn all I can about Moodle as part of an online learning environment.
>>

>>I have just learned the term SCORM today. What is Moodle without SCORM? Any respectful input is appreciated. I've searched high and low and can't find a checklist that clearly lists pros and cons of using SCORM with Moodle.
~~~~~I use scorm because it contains everything including both content and runing definitions, and is easier to be created automatically, and is LMS independent~~~~>>>
~~~~~Presently Moodle course can not be created through Macros~~~

>>I also want to know about using a Student Information System with Moodle. It seems that some of the functionality between the two would be overlapping.
>>

>>My goal is to develop an online learning environment with self-paced, accountable training modules; quizzes; and a syllabus with progress indicator.
~~~~~ I have the same goal.~~~~~~

>>
>>Thanks for any guidance you might provide!
>>
>>MitchellT

In reply to Mitchell Teixeira

Re: Moodle without SCORM or SIS

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
SCORM is just a way to package up content. You might as well ask "What is Moodle without PowerPoint files, or PDF files." That is a bit simplistic, but I hope it makes the point.

Keeping the thread of being overly simplistic, you could say that that if it were a school, then Moodle would be the classrooms, and the SIS would be the administration offices.