New question type: fill in the blank

New question type: fill in the blank

by Nour Omran -
Number of replies: 15
hi all, am wondering if any one knows something about this type of question... and if any please let me know..
thanx alot..
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nour Omran

Re: New question type: fill in the blank

by Pierre Pichet -
Give us more info and you could get a better response.
In the mean time look at the essay type question or multianswer (Cloze)

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can also use HotPotatoes JCloze exercise.
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Nour Omran -
i want it to be like the first type that exists in the information of the embedded (cloze) question type . but i want to make it easier for teacher, i don't want him to worry about the syntax. so, i want the teacher to enter his blanks through an interface "which is user friendly" then the syntax is automatically filled into the question text...
i hope you got my idea about this, and if you know any about it please let me know
i realy appreciate your help..
In reply to Nour Omran

by Murad Jamal -

there is no question type of the one your requested exactly, the closer one is CLOZE, and if the teacher is trained well to use it, it's going to be a like a breeze ...

another solution, you may developer the whole question type that supports your needs ...

In reply to Murad Jamal

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Nour - take a look at what I suggested - the Hotpotatoes J-Cloze activitity. I have shown it to lots of teachers and it is very user-friendly. When you upload to Moodle the grades show in the gadebook.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nour Omran -
hi mary...
honestly i can't find the activity you mentioned, and i will be so grateful if told me where i can find it...
thanx
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nour Omran

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Nour. Sorry for not being clear. Hotpotatoes is free software you can download and use on your computer http://hotpot.uvic.ca/#downloads
You make exercises like fill in the blanks,crosswords, matchup, multiple choice quiz and more. In your moodle site administration>modules>activities>manage activities you need to "open the eye" of Hotpotatoes so it is available on all your courses. Then you can go to a course, turn on the editing, click add an activitiy and hotpotatoes quiz will appear there - upload your fill in the blank (or other) exercise there and it will work within moodle's gradebook. It is a much simpler way of creating cloze activities than some of the Quiz question type.
In reply to Nour Omran

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A couple of attempts have been made at simplifying Cloze question input.
See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16154

I installed the contributed code multianswer.zip file (from Mohamed Alsharaf) attached to this issue onto my test Moodle set, so you can try the interface in action at:
http://www.moodle2word.net/question/question.php?category=72&courseid=2&returnurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moodle2word.net%2Fquestion%2Fedit.php%3Fcourseid%3D2&qtype=multianswer (click on "Show Sub-Question Builder" to see the JavaScript dialog box).
You will need to log in (use username/password mcqstudent/mcq) to view the page.

I couldn't get the original code in the attachment cloze_generator.html (contributed by Dominik Anonymous, I think) to work.
The file clozegen.zip contains a HTTP 404 page error, not any code.

I have also created a Word-based alternative question interface which supports Cloze question input (cf. http://www.moodle2word.net/), which uses formatting (bold, italic) to represent different gap types.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Murad Jamal -

where can we get the working code of the CLOZE quiz generator from ?

you said you've got it from a member named Mohamed Alsharaf, can you upload it here ?

In reply to Murad Jamal

by Murad Jamal -

ok I now got it, I didn't pay attention for the one in the tracker, I installed it successfully.

there are two problems (on both my test machine and your site on which this code is installed) :

1) the close link to the top right corner of the script does not work in IE only

2) the "insert" button in the script does not insert the question code in the question body (on both IE and firefox)

what's the problem reason ?

by Nour Omran -
hi..
well, the Word-based alternative question interface is't worken any ideas ???
In reply to Nour Omran

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi there,
Could you be a bit more specific about what exactly isn't working? As far as I can tell, importing Word files into questions, and exporting questions into Word, are OK.

If you have a problem installing the Word template, the instructions at http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=9 should help, although they are written for Word 2003 rather than Word 2007.

Also, if you are using Word 2008 for the Mac, then unfortunately it has no VBA support, so the templates won't work.

by Nour Omran -
i see that i didn't clrify my question, it's that when i can't open the attached filescause they're corrupted...

could u post a copy of them in this discussion???
In reply to Nour Omran

by Bala kumar -
Nour Pl, go through Moodle FLAX Plugin.
In reply to Nour Omran

by Hemraj Patil -

Hi You can use Gift Formate and upload the question with answer.

Example:-

The capital of India is {=delhi}

"{=delhi}" this is an blank answer.