Excluded grades still included in course totals

Excluded grades still included in course totals

by Basil Gohar -
Number of replies: 7
The teachers in our school are having some problems with excluded grades still being included in students' course totals, so students that are excluded from certain grades are consistently appearing with lower grades than those that have not been excluded.

Part of the complication is that we've made some modifications to how the gradebook works, but I have undone basically all of those that would affect this bit of logic, and yet, the grades are still incorrect.

What I would like to ask is if someone can just give some pointers on what I can check to make sure that the grade exclusions are marked and being handled properly. Our teachers' grades are due this week, so I need to find a resolution to this ASAP.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
In reply to Basil Gohar

Re: Excluded grades still included in course totals

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Basil,
What is the aggregation method you use? If SUM - it will not work.
Please post screenshots of Categories and Items, Grader report, and sample User report.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Basil Gohar -
Elena,

Thanks for the reply. We use SWM aggregation. I will post some screenies in short time.

by Basil Gohar -
This is the grader report, seriously trimmed (but it shows all columns for the students listed).
Attachment PSY-3124_Grades_View_1274188526932_-_cropped_-_paletted_-_16_colors.png

by Basil Gohar -
This is categories & items, simple view. Again, very much cropped, but complete.
Attachment PSY-3124_Grades_Categories_and_items_1274189163505_-_cropped_and_paletted.png

by Basil Gohar -
Finally, a user report for a student that was having the issue mentioned. This student is excluded from the last three assignments, but the grade is calculated as if those points still counted, and so the grade is much lower.
Attachment PSY-3124_Grades_View_1274189539687_-_cropped_and_paletted_-_16_colors.png
In reply to Basil Gohar

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Basil,

Sorry, but I do not see that particular student listed in the Grader report, so it's hard to compare.

Overall, I believe that everything is calculating correctly when I look at the User report (or at least how it was intended to calculate, but probably not how you want that to be). Moodle gradebook is very oriented to percentages, so here is how the grades for your student are calculated.

Here is my sample:

Student 1 got 1912.20 out of possible 2864 points in the first category. This is 66.77% (0.6677).
Since he is being excluded from 3 other assignments, they will be "ignored" for him, and that 66.77% will be derived from possible course total.
Maximum for the Course Total is 3164. If you calculate 66.77 % out of that, it will be 2112.50.

Student 2 got 1912.20 and he got 300 points for the rest of the assignments.
1912.20 + 300 = 2212.20 which is 69.92% from 3164.

Student 3 got 1912.20 and he is not being excluded from 3 other assignments, 1912.20 + 0 = 1912.20 which is 60.44% from 3164.

So, you can see that Student 1 will be "penalized" in comparison to Student 2.
And I assume you would want that Studnet1 to get the same grade as Student2?
I would then not exclude, but grant them 100 % for excluded items. Then use Feedback area to state why that was done that way.

P.s. Anyone can suggest something else? mixed I hope I am correct in my calculations here smile

Attachment 17Scr_May._18_12.41.jpg

by Basil Gohar -
Elena,

Thanks for running through the math, giving the example, and also offering that excellent suggestion on how to explain it. I will double-check our situation, and if I have anything else, I'll reply back here.