Moodle 2.0 translation portal preview - request for testers

Moodle 2.0 translation portal preview - request for testers

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hola amigos

as you probably know, we are going to change the procedure and the tools for translating Moodle 2.0. There will be a single portal that replaces the current translation tool in Moodle.

The portal is powered by a custom Moodle plugin known as AMOS - Automated Manipulation Of Strings. Before we officially launch the site and switch the strings repository into a production mode (it means regular backups, exporting the translations into nicely wrapped language packs etc), I would like Moodle translators to test the features and find as many bugs as possible.

To help us with testing, please follow the instructions:

• Visit http://lang.moodle.org. You will be redirected to a testing server called ferda.
  • Fill the standard New account form. Unfortunately, this testing server does not allow to send confirmation email so I will have to approve your request manually - just let me know that you have registered and what language you maintain. I will set required permissions for you.
  • Explore the AMOS tool

Please reply to this post should you have any questions or ideas regarding the interface.

1Please note that the system is not in production mode yet and all the translations may get deleted very likely as I have to repopulate the strings history from the scratch in case of bugs discovered. This may not happen but who knows.

Of course we will improve AMOS as needed. I plan, for example, to integrate the recently contributed patches for online translation services (Google translator), translation memory etc. The current preview version is here to test the backend libraries and the main functionality/procedure.

With hope you will find the new tool useful, --David

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Moodle 2.0 translation portal preview - request for testers

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi David,

AMOS looks pretty well, thanks.

I've commented on MDL-21691 after some early tests.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Thanks David,

very good impressions so far. Let test more! approve
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

Thank you very much!
AMOS looks beautiful.smile

It would be very nice for collaborative translation, if we could see "Staged by" on AMOS Stage page.

Mits
Attachment amos_stage.jpg
In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi David,
the new tool looks great!!
I hope we will get it soon for real translations.
Ralf
In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mits,

actually it does not make sense as the stage is just an area where your work is awaiting before it is committed (saved persistently) into the repository. You can't see other users' stage and even your own stage is lost once you log out or your session has time out! Consider it as a saved email draft before you actually send it.

For collaborative purposes, stage is supposed to be used like this:

• the contributor (who does not have privileges to commit into the lang repository) uses AMOS and translates something
  • as every portal user has capability to use the translator and stage the translated strings (in all languages and all versions), the contributor will end with having his work staged
  • then he will use "Export stage into XML" feature (to be added)
  • he will send you as the language maintainer the exported XML
  • you will use "Import XML" and the sent work will appear in your stage as if you translated it on your own.
  • after reviewing it (unstaging and/or tweaking as needed), you can commit, preferably with a clear note in the commit message that this is not your work

Of course, in the future, I can imagine some enhancements of this workflow and that time, the concept of "shared stage" or something like that can be introduced.

d.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

Thank you.
Now I can understand well about 'Stage'.smile

> Of course, in the future, I can imagine some enhancements of this workflow and that time, the concept of "shared stage" or something like that can be introduced.

Great!

Mits
In reply to David Mudrák

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
Let's see if I understand this correctly.

Any user can request access to the AMOS portal and translate strings in any language he sees fit. Each language has a maintainer who reviews the translations using the stage and then commits them to the repository.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
This looks really good. Do you have any idea when we can start using this for real?