Being too clever

Being too clever

by Richard Treves -
Number of replies: 4
At work I have a cool flat screen screen to plug into my laptop.  Yesterday I worked out how to use both laptop and flat screens at the same time which I was smug about...

...until I turned on my laptop today and all my windows 'appeared' off screen on the flat screen that was no longer connected.  I had no choice but to spend 10 minutes this morning 'fishing' for the control panel, trying to grab it with the mouse somewhere off screen and drag it into the laptop screen so I could revert to just the laptop screen.

Some days I wonder why we bothered with evolving these fantastic brains and didn't just stay in the trees eating fruit.

Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Treves

Re: Being too clever

by N Hansen -
I remember about 15 years ago when I had a Mac, which had this built-in function where you could magnify the size of your screen, I made the mistake of magnifying 16x and then having to crawl around this mega screen where a single letter took up the entire screen until I could relocate the place to shut it off.

A few months ago we also did something silly-hooking up an external screen to my laptop. There was something that happened involving the frequency of the screen that caused the screen on the laptop to go completely blank, and it wouldn't come back. It was a software problem, not a hardware problem. I think in the end we solved it somehow by going into safe mode and rolling back the Windows entirely to a previous backup of the system, since it wasn't a simple matter of just shutting it off.

Re: Being too clever

by John Gone -
Ouch! I wonder what happened there? I use an "extended desktop" when editing photos as the external CRT I use is far better than the TFT that is on my notebook. The extended desktop also comes in handy when I need a few applications open or when organizing files etc.

Yes, there are days when I wish I hadn't opened this Pandora's box. I was pretty happy when I didn't know how to turn on a computer which was only 5 years ago.

Being too clever

by Ken Spell -
There's a book I read once called "Leadership Traits and Qualities," that sort of answers that wonder you speak of. In a nut shell, the book describes what I call an anatomy and physiology of the human spirit. But regardless of how one subsumes the content, the wonder part is undeniable: how well one can communicate direction is why we bother...

Hope the synopsis proves useful.