Fantastico installation

Fantastico installation

by Dr Imre Reczey -
Number of replies: 8

Fantastico installation works like a dream for me. But what about updates? Does Fantastico update my installation, too? Should I simply rerun the installation over the same folder, and that's it?

If there is an upgrade function, what should I backup - from inside Moddle, or using Cpanel? - before I run the Fantastico upgrade?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr Imre Reczey

Re: Fantastico installation

by Bryan Williams -

Eye,

You cannot use Fantastico (when it is updated) to upgrade Moodle. You need to preserve your database and allow the newer Moodle to overwrite tables with changes during an installation. Fantastico, unless you create a Moodle installation using another folder name, is ok for a first time installation. 

Make sure you have set Moodle in Administration to perform site backups, and download the latest backup to your computer before upgrading. This backup can be found in your moodledata directory in folder 1. Almost make sure you save your config.php file as this will show you what Fantastico did during its installation (ie, database name and location, user and password names, directory locations etc.).  

In reply to Dr Imre Reczey

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Updating with Fantastico has worked just as easy for me. After Fantastico updates their program (about 1-2 months after a significant new Moodle), you go to your cPanel and there inside Fantastico at the Moodle link will be an upgrade button. Don't blink your eye, or you will miss the action.

Added Comment: After reading Bryan's note, I should agree that you always need to make backups first. But I am puzzled because I was easily able to update a working Moodle site using Fantastico.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Dr Imre Reczey -
Ooooopps... Two opposite opinions. big grin When it comes to upgrade, I will backup everything. From within Moodle, from within Cpanel (phpmyadmin). Then, I will give it a try. But possibly only in the mid semester break... wink

by John Hobson -

Hi Don

Is this common accross all Fantastico installations?

I inatalled 1.4.3 + using Fantastico about 2 months ago. Can I expect to see a button for point releases, or woul I expect to wait for 1.5?

Thanks in advance

John

In reply to John Hobson

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi John,

What is a point release?   1.4.3+  is the most recent release, so you are getting fantastic service.  My Fantastico is only up to 1.4.1 so I guess it is fair to assume that not all hosting services have the same Fantastico.  Since Fantastico has several versions (ie Deluxe) and is a paid service, it would seem that we could expect differences across all around.  Also anyone expecting to get a Fantastico upgrade to 1.5 soon, should not plan on it until May or later.   smile

by John Hobson -

Hi Don

By point release I meant a new point value in the release number (e.g 1.4.2 -> 1.4.3)

Glad to hear that my ISP is treating me well wink

Thanks for the advice re 1.5 timing

J