Grades help for the very confused

Grades help for the very confused

by M N -
Number of replies: 1
Hi-
I am really confused as to how best to set up what I want to do.

In my school, I am using forum discussions for pretty much anything that will be part of the students' grades. I have one forum per lesson in which they can talk with each other and help each other, and then one where they post writeups of their assignments. I have these forums set to "sum of ratings" for aggregate type.

I set up a grade scale of 0-4, with 4 being the best. I have some assignments turned in already which were great, so I gave them a 4. In the discussion forums, I had some students be very helpful to others, and although that's not an assignment, I would like to give those posts points that increase that student's grade.

The problem is that when I do give, say 2 points to a post by a student who had an earlier assignment they got a 4 on, their overall grade shows the average of their 2 grades, not the sum. It's expressed in a percentage, but basically, if they got a 4 on the assignment and a 2 for being helpful, their overall grade drops to a 3. What I want is for the 4 + 2 to give them a 6.

I thought sum would do this, but apparently not. Any tips on how to set up what I want?

Thanks!
In reply to M N

Re: Grades help for the very confused

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi M N,
Before going further - " 4 on the assignment and a 2 for being helpful" - are those grades given in one forum on in two separate ones?
When you talk about scales - you mean manually created Scales in the gradebook? You went there, created one, and typed manually 0, 1, 2, 3, 4? (What is your course.category aggregation method in the gradebook is set for?)