Moodle 2.0 activity type overview missing

Moodle 2.0 activity type overview missing

by Davo Smith -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've been testing out Moodle 2.0 (whilst trying to update my checklist module to work with it) and I've been trying to find a feature that seems to have disappeared in the transition.

In moodle 1.9 there was the option to click on 'Assignments' (or any other activity/resource type) in the top-left corner of the course page and be shown a summary of all the assignments in the course (this was also available as part of the breadcrumb trail at the top of any individual assignment). I find I use this option many, many times a day in college, but the links seem to have disappeared in Moodle 2.0.

The functionality is still there, if you manually type the URL ([site]/mod/assignment/index.php?id=[courseid] in this case), but I can't find out how to get there through the interface. (As an aside, I'm also getting an error message with the latest version from CVS - "Notice: Undefined property: object::$idnumber in /home/davo/public_html/moodle20/mod/assignment/lib.php on line 125" ).

Is this functionality being removed (I do hope not, as I use it a lot)? If it is being removed, why is it still there, when you manually type the URL?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Moodle 2.0 activity type overview missing

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I know what you mean, but you could still have that by adding the "activities" block presumably?
In reply to Davo Smith

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
David, thanks for your comments. I notice there is still the setting hideactivitytypenavlink in Moodle 2.0, though as you point out, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Just moving this discussion to the testing and QA forum for further comments...
In reply to Davo Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There was a setting for this added in MDL-9615 (search admin for "hideactivitytypenavlink") but that is now useless in 2.0 (I filed a bug about it here MDL-22427).

I think it's pretty much impossible/inadvisable to add it back to the navbar now as it breaks the structure of Moodle. Not many people seemed to get it anyway which is why that setting was there in 1.9 ... you must be one of the few that thought like me and liked the idea, David smile

See MDL-22427 for discussion about alternatives, if any.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'd missed the 'Activity' block (I had a quick look, but I must have just overlooked it). That will probably cover what I wanted (will try it out when I get home).

As for the breadcrumb trail, I agree that it was a little confusing to have it there (even if I used it a lot). It would be really nice if there was a sensible place to put the link on the activity page - maybe in the 'Assignment administration' section (although that wouldn't show up to students?), or just a part of the standard footer?

I'll get on with posting a bug report about the error message I found, as soon as I have checked it isn't already on the system.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Oh I fixed that error some hours ago smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Davo Smith -
That error message I mentioned above ( Notice: Undefined property: object::$idnumber in /home/davo/public_html/moodle20/mod/assignment/lib.php on line 125 ), still happens on the activity reports pages (both outline and complete) - in the CVS version checked out 5 min ago.

Also on the top of course pages, when logged in as a student.