Roles: Should only see his enrolled course categories on the front page after logging in

Roles: Should only see his enrolled course categories on the front page after logging in

by Constantine Ibgus -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, everyone!

I'm not sure if this has already been raised but I couldn't find the answers on the forums. I'm new to moodle, by the way... Here it goes:

1) Is it possible that after logging in, a user can only see on the front page the courses or course categories that he is assigned to or enrolled in? If it is, how?

2) One simple question, what is the filename of the PHP file that I need to modify so that I can add bullets to course categories and courses?

Thank you very much and more power to moodle and the developers! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Constantine Ibgus

Re: Roles: Should only see his enrolled course categories on the front page after logging in

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there smile
1) I misread your first question earlier so here's another go: if you use the my courses side block or else if you set in site admin>front page>front page settings the list of options when logged in to "courses" then if your Moodle is set up right, a user WILL only see their enrolled courses. If they stil see all of them then you might have mistakenly enrolled them as students globally via site admin>users>permissions>assign system roles. When your students are currently logged in do they see all courses?
2) Can't help with this but I am sure someone can!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Roles: Should only see his enrolled course categories on the front page after logging in

by Constantine Ibgus -

Thank you very much for your reply, Mary!

I've already found question number 2) and managed to add bullets. For number 1, I will try it as soon as I have undone the mess I made... I tried changing a lot of stuff and now the administrator login could not see the Admin>Fron Page>Front Page Settings option... I only have Front Page questions even though the admin login is still set to Allow on all options in the permissions... Geez...

by Constantine Ibgus -

Alright, I now have my Front Page Settings option back...

For number 1, the users are not globally assigned to any role. I created two different users. User A is enrolled as a student on course 1, user B is enrolled in course 2. Both users can see all courses. Below are the settings that might be useful:

1) Admin > Front Page > Front Page Settings>

Front Page = none

Front page items to show when logged in = List of courses

Default Front Page role = Authenticated User

2) Admin > Front Page > Front Page roles >

No role assigned

I'm not sure what I've done wrong...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. You refer to the front page here but when you say "globally "you do mean site admin>users>permissions>assign system roles don't you? That no students are assigned there?Try default front page role= none and also - go to site admin>users>permissions>user policies and check the default user there is "authenticated user"
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Constantine Ibgus -

Guess what, it worked! Awesome! smile

I just have a few follow-up questions:

1) It listed all the courses that are enrolled by User A, however, they are not categorised. All the courses from different categories are sorted in just one page. Is it possible to categorise them?

2) Though User A can only see his enrolled courses, there is a button at the bottom of the page that says All Courses which allows the said user to still view all courses. How do we remove that button?

3) User B, who is not enrolled to any course, can see all courses even though he/she was not given a role under admin>users>permissions>assign system roles. Is this normal?