Zebra 0.1 (Yet Another Aardvark Mod)

Zebra 0.1 (Yet Another Aardvark Mod)

by Danny Wahl -
Number of replies: 17
zebrapreview.png

My first contribution back to the Moodle Community (besides a few bug reports...)

First: this IS another mod of the great Aardvark theme by Shaun Daubney (thanks to him)

However, I have made considerable changes, and have many more planned, so consider this more like a "fork".

The purpose of this theme was to build it in such a way that customizing it is easily in reach of people who know the bare minimum about html or css. As such the CSS has been completely rewritten into a color scheme format and is grouped into 5 categories:

Links & menu
Hovering
Labels & fonts
Backgrounds
Body Background

By picking a colorscheme, the user needs only to change a handful of css elements and, voila the whole theme is recolored in a matching sort of a way- no need to *find and replace all* when you didn't need it, or figuring out individual elements, etc...

This also works with MoodleBar- as seen in the picture above.

All new images, transparency! to work with the color scheme- the menu is now acutally just css with a transparent png for the "3D effect"

Images all come in a variety of convenient flavors: light & dark, and sm,md,lg,xl

for example the menu background can be:

smdark.png

or

lglight.png

for a small, darker 3D effect or a large, light 3D effect.

The menu has been completely rewritten!

No more flyout.png! instead we have some divs that "grow" as you add links to your unordered list, and always look nice.

There's really a lot more to it but colorschemes, new images, new menu, and MoodleBar are the 4 big ones for this first release.

Finally,

The 5 color schemes above (Eggplant, Cola, Girly, Grayscale, & Night) are all included in the release. Just change the styles array from zebra to zebra_eggplant, or whatever you want.

You can see it live (with a few fixes for 0.2) at https://school.tiseagles.com, with the exception of the MoodleBar- that requires login.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Danny Wahl

Re: Zebra 0.1 (Yet Another Aardvark Mod)

by Steve Towson -
Lovely, and we can download it from ... ?
In reply to Steve Towson

by Danny Wahl -
I've been working on porting to to moodle 2.0 - and then they released the native menu bar. I'll post an updated version (0.2) for Moodle 1.9 tomorrow for you guys.
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Gordon McLeod -
I like the way you've structured - makes it simpler to modify colour scheme consistently (and apply to moodlebar too, fantastic), and the menu dropdown looks very clear. Any timeframe for when you'll be able to make this available for download?
Thanks.
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Stephen Catton -

Hi this looks great.

sadly the link is not working for me.

Cheers

Stephen

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -
ok it's UP

sorry it took so long, here's the changes from 0.1 (unreleased) to 0.2:

(Beta) 0.2 - Released

• added $canviewmenu for easy menu access control: pseudo permissions (Menu 1 is hidden from students by default to serve as an example)
  • Added isloggedin() check for Moodlebar access
  • sm, md, lg, xl renamed to small, medium, large, xlarge
  • colors.php added: your one stop setup file
  • Fixed MoodleBar search position
  • Added tons of forum core CSS
  • More color fixes
  • Add Geshi.css
  • Fixed z-index for hover menu and moodlebar with lightbox gallery module

Here's all it takes to set it up (image):

colors.png
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Globe College -
Hi there,

first of all, great theme.

we were wondering how we would go about changing the $canviewmenu roles?

Thanks
Michael
In reply to Globe College

by Danny Wahl -
you can change the roles at the top of header.html

it's basically a has_capability() check in CONTEXT_SYSTEM. You can add/remove roles from there- or change the capability.
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Globe College -
Hi thanks so much for the tip. We've got it figured out now smile

One question we do have left is this:

In order for certain users to see certain menus, we have to assign system roles. We have one menu that only teachers should see, which is assigned by a system role of teacher...unfortunately though, this enrols the teacher in every course we offer.

Have we misunderstood the concept or is the only way to make some menus available for certain people through assigning system roles? Would be great if we could allow our teachers to see a menu that students couldn't see, while still only having them see the courses they are teaching under the "My Courses" block.

Would this be possible??

Thanks so much for all your help in advance!

Michael
In reply to Globe College

by Danny Wahl -
yes, this is possible. What you are describing is actually the way that we are using it. There are several solutions:

1) Change the system capability that enrolls them as a teacher in all courses (I'm not sure exactly where this is)

2) use a different default system role for your campus teachers. This is what we do and we actually use the 'course creator' role.

3) Create a new System Role called something like 'menu access' and define that as the default role

4) Create a new capability called 'moodle/menu:access_menu' and then just turn it on for those users

5) use a different capability besides moodle/legacy:role

The Moodle Capability/Role system is extremely flexible, so you should be able to make it do just about anything you want. I do recommend staying within the context of 'system' so that as their current role changes from system to course, etc... the menu is always accessible to those it should be accessible to.
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Daniel Rowland -
I absolutely love this theme--best one I've seen yet.
Silly question though (from a Moodle newb). For some reason when I navigate away from my courses pages (either into the Admin options or to Resources, etc), my font is the same color as my background. Keep in mind, that I've set the Zebra color scheme to be two different shades of grey for Main Background and Background. However, my black font in shown on a black background in the aforementioned places, making it (obviously) unreadable. The Main Background is still grey, and most of the Background is still grey, except for where my font is. I've tried changing the Zebra color schemes, and I can't fix this issue. I know this must be something I've done(?) Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
In reply to Daniel Rowland

by Danny Wahl -
yes, I know exactly what you're talking about - and I'm working on packing up a .3 release that's going to address this issue and some other things. Should be out today or tomorrow. Glad you like it!
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Sergei Yegorov -
Struggling to install Zebra,
The only thing I see when I upload Zebra is

'See attachment'

If I try to use it I get locked out and have to delete it.
I use Moodle 1.9.7+

What am I doing wrong?
Attachment capture_10062010_165825.png
In reply to Sergei Yegorov

by Danny Wahl -
I'm not sure what would cause that- and I don't know why it says "Moodle 1.4" that's strange.

Please make sure that you have the latest version 0.3:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=3892

and maybe make sure that the permissions are correct once installed, the preview should work.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi this is a common problem with most themes being uploaded to servers that use cPanel.

What you need to do is upload the Zip via cPanel and install it direct to your server. You will find the problem clears.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Sergei Yegorov -
Hello, Mary,
I think this the cause as I am on cPanel hosting. Will try.
Thanks again!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Please let us know how you get on Sergei.

Mary