Offline editing

Offline editing

by Mark Oldham -
Number of replies: 7

I am new to Moodle.org, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but we already have an active moodle that is live, we want to completely revamp our moodle. Is there a way to edit it eg the themes ect offline so it does not affect the live moodle that users are using?

We could then play around in test environment and them publish the content when we are happy with it.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Oldham

Re: Offline editing

by Alex Smith -

Good afternoon Mark.

Why don't you download the complete package for Windows (XAMMP) from http://download.moodle.org/windows/ 

Then set it up on the Localhost

Good luck,

Alex

In reply to Alex Smith

by Mark Oldham -
Thank you for your feedback, sorry to be a pain, how would i set this up? Thanks again in advance.
In reply to Mark Oldham

by Alex Smith -

Sorry Mark I didn't notice this until today.

I am assuming that you are using windows? If so this is what you should do:
Go to; http://download.moodle.org/windows/ and download the latest version

Before extracting the file in drive c:, make a folder in drive c: e.g.Moodle
after that, extract the file inside the folder:

You will notice four files:
moodle.exe
moodle stop.exe
readme file
then a folder named server

double click moodle.exe
then after that go to your browser and type in the url; localhost

Then click next and go through the setup process.

Good luck

In reply to Alex Smith

by Mark Oldham -
Thanks alot for all you're help! I will give this a try later today. thanks again.
In reply to Alex Smith

by Mark Oldham -
Thanks! got an offline moodle to edit, Thanks for all your help.
In reply to Mark Oldham

by Obando JH -

sorry I'm not a computer expert but I want to edit my courses offline, I tried to install moodle in my win 7 pc but after I write "localhost" in my internet explorer it opens a webpage with the message "IIS7 internet information server" and the word welcome in many languajes but when I click in the word it opens a page "http://www.iis.net/" and I don't know what to do next.  can somebody help me please?

In reply to Mark Oldham

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You are on the right track here. If you are going to be doing development, it is absolutely essential that you work on a copy of Moodle, and only update the live server when everything is done and tested.

Each developer ought to have a place where they can set up their own copy of Moodle to do active development, and where they can set up test courses and users, fiddle with admin settings, and so on. (And, if their development completely screws up the system, they can wipe it and reinstall.)

Then, you need a test server, that is a copy of your live server. This is where you get together the end result of all the different developers' work, and make sure your live site will work when you upgrade it.

As for how to make a copy of your live site, the procedure is basically the same as moving a Moodle system, which is explained on Moodle migration (except that you leave the live system in place, so it is a copy, not a move).

If you are doing any sort of development, I hope it goes without saying that that you are using version control on the source code. That is the only sane way to track all the changes that different people are making, and also to help you combine the changes that are made in the standard version of Moodle with your changes.

If your are not using version control yet, then please buy yourself and your team a copy of either Pragmatic Version Control Using Git, or Pragmatic Version Control using CVS.

The choice is that git is more modern, and much better, particularly when it comes to combining your local changes with changes in standard Moodle. However, to use it you mostly have to use the command line. CVS is older, and a bit clunky at the back end, but you can get GUI programs like TortioseCVS and IDEs like Netbeans and Eclipse have CVS built in.