Admins see only the calendar on front page - all other pages are blank

Admins see only the calendar on front page - all other pages are blank

by Ian Ralph -
Number of replies: 2
Background:
I attempted to upgrade the Feedback block/mod which I think failed because I did not change the permissions of some files.

What I see now:
When I login as an admin I am now only able to see the calendar on the front page and will only see a blank page if I attempt to link to a page other than the front page. A teacher or student sees all courses as usual.
moz-screenshot.png
Here's what all see before Login

Here's what I (as an admin) see after I login

Here's what a student sees after login

What I did to attempt a fix:
In an attempt to rectify the problem I have restored the moodle directory and the moodledata directory from a backup that was done before I stuffed up the Feedback upgrade.

We have fewer than 200 courses:
I have seen posts in the Moodle forums on this problem related to a limit of 200courses that can be displayed on the front page. We don't have this number of courses.

Where do I start to look?
Any suggestions about where to start looking for the cause of the problem would be appreciated.

Ian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Ralph

Re: Admins see only the calendar on front page - all other pages are blank

by Ian Ralph -
I forget to add:

Moodle 1.9.6 build 20091111, MySQL 5.0.67, php 5.2.12

In reply to Ian Ralph

Re: Admins see only the calendar on front page - all other pages are blank

by Ian Ralph -
Julian Ridden helped me to solve this one. I thought I'd record the cause and the solution just in case anyone else has the same issue.

The problem was that when I had updated the Feedback Block some of the files were corrupted.

Apparently when an admin logins in all the blocks "load" I guess in anticipation of the admin installing a new block on the front page. When the load process got to the corrupted files the whole thing grinds to a halt and the admin sees only the calendar - he rest of the site is blank.

When a student or teacher attempts to use the Feedback module as an activity in a course they too see a blank page because, so Julian tells me, the mod uses some of the code from the block.

Solution: Download a new version of the Feedback plugin and reinstall - it's so obvious in hindsight!

Note to developers: I would have thought that something like this should not bring down a whole instance of moodle. This should throw an error, not crash the site.

Ian