new 0 - 4 scale not working

new 0 - 4 scale not working

by David Le Blanc -
Number of replies: 5
I have a course with an overall aggregation type of 'Weighted mean of grades'. I have two course categories both using a 'Simple weighted means of grades'. One of the course categories is worth 70% of the total course weight, with the other category is worth 30%. I have a created a scale with four values (No activity, Minimal expectations, Meets expectations, Exceeds expectations). The problem is that the actual values for the scale go from 1-4, rather than 0-3 as I would like it. From everything I'm reading in moodle docs, the scale scores should be 0-3, since the aggregation type is a normalized type (Simple weighted mean of grades) rather than a Sum aggregation method. However, the scale starts with the value 1 rather than 0. Any ideas what I might be doing/interpreting incorrectly? thoughtful
In reply to David Le Blanc

Re: new 0 - 4 scale not working

by Itamar Tzadok -
Scale scores start at 1, so your 1-4 scale is as it should be. You can easily offset it to 0-3 by setting the Offset in the grade item to -1. hth smile

EDIT:

Nop, that was too hasty. Offset doesn't seem to work with scales.

Until the scale engine is rewritten (2.0 ???) you may have to work around or with formulas.

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi David,
May be you can post screenshots of the grader report and categories and items?
it seemed to work for me - the first item was treated as 0%.
Was this something you were looking for, like on my creenshot?
Attachment ScreenHunter_07_May._04_07.19.gif
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Itamar Tzadok -
Interesting. The percentage of scale items actually goes from 0 to 100. Makes sense I guess. And it is also a good practice in general to work on 0-100 scale anyway (or at least one scale which can always be normalized to percentage). smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Elena Ivanova -
yep, moodle gradebook just loves percentages, so I always advise people here to display them to make sense out of the grades, letters, scales, and calculations they have evil

by David Le Blanc -
Thanks very much for your feedback/support Itamar and Elena. I did a bit more fiddling and it now seems to be working the way it should. I should have been a bit more systematic in my fiddling, as I cannot retrace what I changed, but you're quite right Elena, it does work correctly. smileblush