What is mysql abuse? My account was just suspended.

What is mysql abuse? My account was just suspended.

by Steven Day -
Number of replies: 6
Much to my dismay, I just discovered that my host suspended my account. This right before a midterm later this week. In any case, the reason given was mysql abuse. I'm not even sure what this entails.

Thanks for any help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Day

Re: What is mysql abuse? My account was just suspended.

by N Hansen -
 Steven-I believe this is when the load put on the server by the mysql database is too high, on a shared server. I switched my host before installing Moodle becuase my previous host, while a good one, had limits on Mysql database usage. Your host may have the same kind of limits, and you might need to find another host that specializes in Mysql hosting so that you don't face these problems again.
In reply to N Hansen

by Steven Day -
Thanks for the prompt reply N. Yes, with the midterm coming up and my lecture notes online, the load may have spiked enough to cause the suspension. May I ask which host you use now? Currenly I'm with Surpass, which has provided good service. I'm also wondering what could help to keep the load lower in the future? Looks like I may be stuck using, heaven forbid, WebCT for the rest of the semester. Argh! 
In reply to Steven Day

by Jeffery Watkins -

Or, look into one of the Moodle Partners.

Jeff

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Steven Day -
I would love to Jeffery. But this is out of pocket for me (with my school paying for WebCT, they aren't going to spring for it). Generally, what do the Moodle partners charge for 9 months of hosting?

Thanks.

Steven
In reply to Steven Day

by N Hansen -
I signed up with opensourcehost.com. They aren't the cheapest (but cheaper than the Moodle partners), but they can install Moodle for you and upgrade for free so it frees you of that trouble and since they specialize in php/mysql they don't overload their servers to the point that they can't handle heavy database usage. I haven't released my site publicly yet but I have been happy so far with the professional and courteous service they have given.
In reply to N Hansen

by Steven Day -
Thanks, I'll check them out. I also noticed just tonight that one of the partners has very reasonable hosting available for single teachers with 5 or less classes. So that may be a possibility as well. I appreciate your help.

Steven