Grader Report only saving grades entered for first y-number of students...

Grader Report only saving grades entered for first y-number of students...

by Worth Bishop -
Number of replies: 2
This thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=147442#p650379 was started in the Assignment module forum, but should probably be here instead.

To recap:

Our professors can use the Grader Report with Quick Grading globally enabled to enter grades for some number of students. However, at some point, the grades are no longer saved.

For instance:

A teacher has a course with several sections of students, broken into groups. They enter grades a group at a time. One group has 21 students.

Using the Gradebook, View tab, Grader Report, they are able to enter grades for these students, then click update, but only the grades on the first x-number of lines are saved. ("x" appears to be a declining number - was 14, now has degraded to 13...)

Subsequently, while grades for the students appearing in the 15th - 21st lines lines can be edited in the Grader Report, they will not be saved when the page is Updated.

If the students' grades are edited individually in the "Edit grade" screen, then saved, they will appear in the Grader Report as entered.

If the student names are sorted differently (i.e, first name vs. last name) it is again the first x-number of lines (14 in this example) appearing on the form that will save the grades entered.

So far, we've found no way to fix this screen. The only way to reliably enter student grades and save them (after the first 14 lines or so!) is to edit them individually.

We're continuing to experiment to try to find a reason why. Just to complicate matters, this behavior is not universal to all courses, so we're struggling to isolate the activity, setting, whatever it is that seems to be causing the problem.

Any help?
In reply to Worth Bishop

Re: Grader Report only saving grades entered for first y-number of students...

by Worth Bishop -
Possible clue-

This problem first arose on a server running Moodle 1.9.8 (Build: 20100325).

We attempted to recreate this problem by backing up one of the courses displaying it, then restoring this course to an earlier version of Moodle (1.9.7) which we happened to have running (we moved to another server ~3 months ago but left the old version of the site up.)

We were unable to duplicate the problem on the 1.9.7 version.

We then upgraded the old site from Moodle 1.9.7 to 1.9.8+ (Build: 20100421), restored the course a second time from the same backup file and the problem occurred just as previously reported.

So, it appears likely that some change in the Gradebook between 1.9.7 and 1.9.8 led to this problem.

Anyone have any insights?
In reply to Worth Bishop

Re: Grader Report only saving grades entered for first y-number of students...

by Worth Bishop -
Attempted to roll back to 1.9.7 code, but this didn't seem to make a difference.

However, having dug into the code a bit, it appears to me that this may be a problem with the yui (yahoo user interface) code.

I can now create the error pretty reliably by toggling the settings for Show Quick Feedback in the My preferences tab. I created a course with 26 notional students. If I attempt to grade them via the Grader report with Show Quick Feedback set to "Yes", only 15 grades are saved. If I set Show Quick Feedback to "No," 25 grades are saved. Why that last one won't save, I don't know.

I created another 4 students, for a total of 30, but this doesn't seem to have any effect - the system still only saves 25 grades, leaving any number over 25 blank.

My current workaround now is to set "Students per page" to 15 and work a page at a time...not great, but better than entering the grades one at a time.