Is it possible to give a fixed score for succesfull attempt at a quiz?

Is it possible to give a fixed score for succesfull attempt at a quiz?

by Cristina Berisso -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone,

Could someone please guide me on how to achieve the following:

I would like to give 5 extra credit points to every student that gets a "passing grade" (70% or more) in a "practice test" at the end of each chapter covered in the course. This is to encourage them to practice after the homework quizzes and to get familiar with a "test type" situation before the actual test.

I do not want to give a grade proportional to the number of questions correctly answered, but rather a fixed number of points per successful try. Is such possible in the current grading scheme for quizzes/grade-book of Moodle 1.93?

Any guide/suggestion in this direction will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Cristina

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cristina Berisso

Re: Is it possible to give a fixed score for succesfull attempt at a quiz?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can probably do this in the gradebook. Hide the real score for the quiz, and make another calculated column that converts the quiz score to 5 if the have more than 70%, or 0 otherwise.

And there are people here to take great delight in devising devious gradebook formulas. Hopefully they can give you more detailed help.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim:

And there are people here to take great delight in devising devious gradebook formulas. Hopefully they can give you more detailed help.

big grin
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Itamar Tzadok -
I also take great delight in growing yeast and baking bread. What else does one need in life? wink
In reply to Cristina Berisso

by Itamar Tzadok -
Added to the docs How_do_I_give_a_fixed_score_for_a_successful_quiz_attempt. Let me know if the guidelines are clear enough. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Cristina Berisso -

Hello everyone and thank you for responding so fast.

I see the cleverness of the formula and thank you for sharing it! My problem is that the ten items (the ten end of chapter self-tests) do not have a "calculator icon" associated with them. I see only one of this type of icons by the "Category Total" under which I have grouped all the end of chapter tests.

In that case, I guess my only chance would be to enter in the calculation for the "Category Total" a larger formula that adds ten different formulas like the one you showed, right? Sorry I am so ignorant on these matters...blush

If that is the case, how should the complete formula look like? Do I need to use the "sum" function? Can I use your formula in place of each of the ten items to be added for the total sum? Something like this:

=sum((round((test01/70-0.49,0)*5), (round((test02/70-0.49,0)*5), (round((test03/70-0.49,0)*5), .....) <-- ten arguments of that form.

or is this some crazy notation that the grade-book will not accept?

Thank you for your help and any further guidance!

Cristina

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Cristina Berisso -

Thank you... THANK YOU guys!

I tried that monstrous formula in the "Category totals" and it worked!!! The students can now see the actual grade they got in the self-test and in the "Category Totals" they can see the total number of points awarded.

THANK YOU!!! I have been for years trying to simplify my work with these Extra Credit points and you gave an answer in less than 24 hours!

THANK YOU!!!

Cristina