How are all of you using gradebook in actual classrooms

How are all of you using gradebook in actual classrooms

by Cypercat Saint -
Number of replies: 4

The problem I am having with gradebook is that we are not able to get it to work with the program we use to print out report cards for the students. So the teachers are saying they will not use it. 

I am trying to get our school to use Moodle over Blackboard and a couple other systems they are looking at...Moodle is selling itself except in this aspect. Parents would like to be able to see the students grades online however the teachers say that double posting grades is to time consumering to do.

They are using a program called Gradebook that will allow them to have grades posted online if we purchase edline.

In an age where we are trying to cut costs using Moodle over these other programs is a no brainer - however I need to address the best way to get the grades online for the parents.

Your suggestions would be helpful.

Cypercat

In reply to Cypercat Saint

Re: How are all of you using gradebook in actual classrooms

by Michael Penney -
Hi Cypercat, does Blackboard's export work with your gradebook program? I think both moodle and bb just export to excel, or csv text, so how does bb work and not Moodle?

What import formats does it (your gradebook program) support? Can it import tabulated data from html?

by Jason Cole -
Is Gradebook also used to print the report cards? If not, what package are you using to do the printing?
In reply to Jason Cole

by Cypercat Saint -
yes it is...I am finding out that the teachers are using Grade Quick and then printing out the report and manually entering it in Grade Book. I am in the process of trying to find out which version of Grade Book they are using so I can give all of you more details.

by Thomas Haynes -

Cypercat...

I have switched to using Moodle for everything. My instructional web page is essentially an archive and a pointer to Moodle. I used to keep another online gradebook, but never did enable the parent access. Since every assignment goes into the gradebook, I only record it once, and my life is a lot easier.

In my experience, an online gradebook is way too much info for most parents. I give lots of grades, and students today had a Moodle quiz, a HW grade, and a CW grade. Parents tend to micromanage and really if they have gotten a 2 out 3 correct on the CW, it is not the end of the world.

I keep guest access enabled on my courses, so that parents can see what is due and when I have tests and projects scheduled. This is very good information, and works well.

When it is time for grades, I record grades then in an online form for another utility, and report cards are printed from that. If I have to mentally "recalculate" a C as a C+ due to trend or something, it happens at this point, and no one has to know since they have not been looking over my shoulder at the gradebook numbers.

FWIW...   Tom