User contact list in Moodle

User contact list in Moodle

by Lynn Chealander -
Number of replies: 0
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - what I am attempting to do is a bit complex and possibly not doable without manual efforts on my end.

We're using Moodle for corporate training and have had a request to build out a database of subject matter experts' contact details for our students to use. We want the experts to be able to self-maintain their entries, as folks move buildings/offices reasonably frequently, so we decided a glossary would be the simplest method. Here's the kicker: we have a list of 300 names, and about 10 subject matter categories. And many of our experts fit into multiple categories.

Now, obviously, I could do a bunch of data entry and put together a categoried glossary, but I can't help but think there must be a better way. To that end I have a couple questions:

1. Is there any way to have a glossary entry's categories show up in the entry itself without entering it twice? At the moment, the only way to figure out what category an entry is in is to browse the whole glossary by category, which is not ideal.

2. Is there any way to insert a user's profile data into a Moodle page/glossary/database etc? This would be an elegant solution to my problem; our subject matter experts could simply update their profile pages to keep their expert-page contact details current, and we wouldn't have to give 300 users edit permissions.

I'm open to suggestions, too, if anyone's done this sort of thing before.

Average of ratings: -