padding spaces

padding spaces

аз Velson Horie -
Number of replies: 14
Is there a way to add padding spaces into the Moodle editor, 1.9.3?
In the word equation below, the brackets should be centered on the words (appropriately spaced) above, which was true before I pressed post but has now been lost. Every time I add the spaces, they disappear when saving then previewing the question. The students are expected and should be able to prepare
essay answers in the same format as the question.

Give word equations for 3 reactions
Example:
aluminium + oxygen -> aluminium oxide

(metal) (non-metal) (compound)

not so much WYSIWYG as What you see you might get if you are lucky and Moodle does not change it for you, WYSYMGIYALMDNCIFY

PS. aluminium is now the approved IUPAC spelling, replacing the American aluminum. But aluminium is shown as a spelling error on my computer. Interestingly, Aluminium (cap) does not show up as a spelling error. [Reciprocally, sulfur replaced sulphur.]
Where is the spell checker taken from? Is it possible to define correct spelling for a course?
In reply to Velson Horie

Re: padding spaces

аз Jon Witts -
Сурати  корбар Particularly helpful Moodlers Сурати  корбар Plugin developers Сурати  корбар Testers
I think the best way to achieve the layout you are after would be to use a table and centre the text within each cell of the table.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

аз Velson Horie -
Thank you.

The trouble with this work around is that it does not seem possible to provide a table template in the essay answer box for students to input their response. But I may have missed the facility. I might have to recast as a cloze question using a table.

More pedagogically, I want the students to learn to input the answer as free text, correctly.

Is space the final frontier for Moodle?
In reply to Velson Horie

аз Paula Clough -

Velson,

dkfd

dfsdf

kdfd

I would suggest that you build the table for the students in the question HTML window.  Make sure you put a number or something in each row or column otherwise the program tends to colapse the table. Type in instructions to copy and paste it into their answer space.  If they begin outside the table it's easy to highlight the entire thing, then it goes quite smoothly.  You can put the instructions at the top and say something like: "highlight this text and the table below and copy, then go to your answer space and paste it there." 

That will take care of the part of putting a table in the answer space. I am not sure what you were asking about padding etc. on your first post in this forum, so I can't help you with that.

PS. the table above may look as if the last 3 spaces on the bottom are missing but they are still there... just invisible.  When I copy and paste, I can click in them or use the tab. 

Paula Ҳамааш аъло аст

In reply to Paula Clough

аз ben reynolds -
Hi Paula & Velson,
I mildly changed Paula's table so the horizontal align=center is built into the cell attributes and not into the content area of the cell, where I think it might be possible for students to click left of the < p > and thus not get the centered effect. For the empty cells, I added a non-breaking space, which will put any answers in those cells off center by one space, but will maintain the cell as not squeezed shut when copied & pasted. I'll vote for the 5 pixel cell padding to help the poor grader read more easily.

Click at the right end of this line, and hold down your mouse button.
1 dkfd dfsdf kdfd
Drag your mouse to the left end of this line. Copy, then paste in the answer space.

Interesting that Moodle does not display border tables. I wonder why.
In reply to ben reynolds

аз Joseph Rézeau -
Сурати  корбар Core developers Сурати  корбар Particularly helpful Moodlers Сурати  корбар Plugin developers Сурати  корбар Testers Сурати  корбар Translators

How about this :

Click at the right end of this line, and hold down your mouse button.
1 dkfd dfsdf kdfd
Drag your mouse to the left end of this line. Copy, then paste in the answer space.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

аз Velson Horie -
Joseph

This works really well in Firefox preview of the question. However when incorporated into a longer quiz, the html editor does not show and the table is not rendered - just the text.

From reading the forum, there appears to be a problem with the html editor appearing only for the first essay question but not subsequently, as I have found. IE also shows this behaviour. Opera does not show the html editor even for its first appearance.

Is there a work round for this problem? About 1/3 my questions are essay type, so this is a problem that affects quite a few questions.

Velson
In reply to Velson Horie

аз Joseph Rézeau -
Сурати  корбар Core developers Сурати  корбар Particularly helpful Moodlers Сурати  корбар Plugin developers Сурати  корбар Testers Сурати  корбар Translators
Velson:

From reading the forum, there appears to be a problem with the html editor appearing only for the first essay question but not subsequently, as I have found. IE also shows this behaviour. Opera does not show the html editor even for its first appearance.

I think the workaround is to have only ONE essay question per page in your quiz. Please try it. As for browsers, I only use Firefox, and cannot speak for the other ones.
Joseph
In reply to ben reynolds

аз Paula Clough -

Ben and Joseph,

I am just learning about html and Moodle... can you tell me more about how you did that... was it in the html or a setting on Moodle?  Thanks so much.

Paula Ҳамааш аъло аст

In reply to Paula Clough

аз Joseph Rézeau -
<table style="border: thin solid blue; border-collapse: collapse;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5" width="100%"><tbody>
 <tr>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%"> 1
 </td>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%"> dkfd
 </td>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%"> dfsdf
 </td>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%"> kdfd
 </td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%"> 2
 </td>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%">&nbsp;
 </td>
 <td style="border: thin solid blue;" align="center" valign="top" width="25%">&nbsp;
 </td>
 </td>
 </tr></tbody>
</table> 
In reply to Velson Horie

аз Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Velson,

You are talking about "padding spaces" and about "centering on the words". Using "padding spaces" it not the correct way to center text in HTML.

What is indeed needed in Moodle's HTML editor is the "non-breaking-space" feature. This will be available in TinyMCE HTML editor... in forthcoming Moodle 2.0.

See this discussion.

Joseph