Prevent students from enrolling in a course

Prevent students from enrolling in a course

by Barbara Taylor -
Number of replies: 10
I know that the default is to let students self-enroll in any course they want. Is it possible to change this somehow in the program (perhaps in the 2.0 release) so students cannot self-enroll? We will have about 1200 courses each semester and I don't wnat to have to go to each one of them and change it to No.

Thank you,

Barbara
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barbara Taylor

Re: Prevent students from enrolling in a course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In Moodle 2.0 you can set in the Course default settings that a course must have an enrolment key so students cannot access it without. I was certain you could do that in 1.9 somewhere too but I can't find it right now which is very strangemixed However, I don't know how to change the courses that are already made without a key sorry.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Mary,

That's strange that you don't see it. Below is what I see on a 1.9.8 course in Administration > Settings. Seems to me it's been like that for some time - I don't remember it changing. Maybe you were looking at a meta course ?

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment 18-04-2010_15-52-23.png
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Glenys - no - I meant - I was sure somewhere in the Site Administration (ie not in each individual course) you could specify that each course had to have an enrolment key - but if so then I have forgotten where it is - unless I dreamed itthoughtful (Maybe I've been spending too much time with Moodle 2.0...mixed )
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

I took a quick look around in our site also in case it was something new I hadn't seen, but couldn't find that global feature for course set up.  I am really looking forward to having it in 2.0!

Paula cool

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Mary and Barbara,

I see what you mean now, Mary, you can't force existing courses that don't have enrolment keys to have them in 1.9.8.

But maybe that would be enough for you, Barbara, setting the default for new courses?

Site administration > Courses > Enrolment > Edit

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment 18-04-2010_18-03-54.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
That's it! That's the one! Thank goodness for that Glenys - I was beginning to think my mind was going....big grin (and it can't afford to as I will be covering absent MFL colleagues tomorrow and this week -looks like 5 of our staff at least stuck abroad suffering from Volcanic Ash..)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Barbara Taylor -
Thanks everyone. I don't want to have to give them an enrollment key. I'd like to have it set to default to Course not enrollable. We put all registered students in ourselves. I'd also like to change the default setting to Course Not Available and let faculty change that themselves when they are ready to let students have access. Is that possible?

Thanks

Barbara

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you want to make all of your new courses to be not enrollable by default, this is not possible in Moodle 1.9 without modifying the code. You'd need to edit course/edit_form.php and change the lines that read: $mform->setDefault('enrollable', 1); to $mform->setDefault('enrollable', 0); and $mform->setDefault('visible', 1); to $mform->setDefault('visible', 0);

But it is in the upcoming 2.0 version (via Administration >> Courses >> Course default settings).

Anyway, all of your existing courses will remain enrollable and visible (if they currently are) no matter what you do with that setting or code you modify. They are only useful for newly created courses.

If you want to change all of your existing courses (except the front page, of course) to not enrollable and not visible, you can use the following SQL query (make sure you backup your database first, just in case something goes wrong or you want to rollback to your previous settings): UPDATE mdl_course SET enrollable=0,visible=0 WHERE id <> 1; That should do it.

Saludos, Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Barbara Taylor -
Thank you SOOOO much. I will let our programmers know this so we can test it right away.

Barbara

by Barbara Taylor -
I have more information on how we create courses.

Here is a description of our PeopleSoft to Moodle course create process :

- Use PeopleSoft delivered LMS Extract Program to create the file IMS_ENTERPRISE.xml (We modified to change some values for address usage, etc)

- Transfer IMS_ENTERPRISE.xml file to the home directory of Moodle server

- File is processed by the Moodle enrollment process

Does anyone do it like this that prevents students from being able to self-enroll in a course and have courses not available?

Barbara