grading multiple choice questions with multiple answers

Re: grading multiple choice questions with multiple answers

by Sarra Lev -
Number of replies: 1

Thank you. I'm actually trying to achieve two different things that it thus far seems can't be mixed. The first, is to assign (positive) scores to options that the students DON'T choose just as there are scores for those they DO choose. To do that, someone suggested I use the matching question in CLOZE, and give a yes/no match. That's worked, for that purpose, but can't be randomized.

The multiple choice, on the other hand, can't score the way I'd like it to. I don't like the negative numbers. It never works pedagogically for me.

Does that help explain better?

Thanks Al.

S

In reply to Sarra Lev

Re: grading multiple choice questions with multiple answers

by Antonia Bonaccorso -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sarra

There is a question type called kprime (https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_kprime) that offers the possibility to have a stem (question) and four options. For each of the options the student has to choose whether this option is right or wrong. (Remark: Right/wrong can be replaced by any dichotomous words or categories like black/white)

There are three scoring methods available

• Subpoints: The student receives 25% of the total points for each correctly answered option.
  • KPrime: The student receives 100% of the total points if all four options are answered correctly, 50% of the total points if three options are answered correctly and 0% if less than 3 options are answered correctly.
  • KPrime 1/0: The student receives 100% of the total points if all options are answered corretly and 0 point otherwise.
Restrictions to this question type are
  • each option has to be clearly right or wrong
  • you must enter four options
It is recommended to have a stem that could be answered in its own right if it was an open ended question, to keep options quite short so students can easily keep all of them them in their working memory and to create options that all refer to the same rather narrow topic (especially if you use scoring methods KPrime or KPrime 1/0 which suggest that  students need to master the whole topic of the question not only parts of it).

Best regards,
Antonia
Average of ratings: Useful (1)