Reading Texts with Multiple Choice

Reading Texts with Multiple Choice

by Living Hour.org -
Number of replies: 6
Hi All,

I've got a series of 100, 250, and 500 word reading passages which will all have multiple choice questions associated with them. What I would like to do is on some passages only allow the reader to see the passage and then click forward to see the questions (without being able to look back at the passage). Does anyone know if this is possible with Hot Potatoes or the Moodle Quiz creator? Also I would like to set a time limit on individual questions (rather than the quiz as a whole). Is this possible? From what I've seen so far it doesn't look like either of these things are possible, but I hope I am wrong. Any advice, much appreciated.

Thanks in advance....D
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Living Hour.org

Re: Reading Texts with Multiple Choice

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David,
As you are expecting, none of the 2 things you want to do are possible in Moodle at the moment. I am just curious about the pedagogic value of a) not allowing a student to have free access to a text when answering questions about it and b) setting a limit time on individual questions. I expect you are trying to replicate on moodle a paper exam which has that kind of limitations?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Actually, memory is an important skill that only improves with practice.

I can't think how to do this particular thing in Moodle. Unless you give out (and take back) the text on paper first, and then run the quiz in Moodle.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Living Hour.org -
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the response. As for the pedagogical value, I am trying to enhance the retention and memory skills of ESL readers. I don't want them to become dependent on always seeking answers in the text, and since the passages are short (100w, 250w, and 500w) it is at a manageable level where they will not be intimidated. There are certain standardized testing situations where one is not allowed to look back at the reading, so it is also useful practice for those situations.

As for the timing, I was thinking if I couldn't prevent them from looking back at the text, perhaps I could at least limit the time they had to look back at the text, which again would help work toward their retention and memory skills. In addition, this would help me gauge their progress better, because this reading program I'm working on runs for a year. And by controlling the time on individual questions, I would have a better idea of their skill levels and it would also cut down on cheating in the computer room.

Thanks....David

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi David,

The Hot Potatoes timer used to be on the reading text and not on the exercise, but this was changed in V6 because of overwhelming demand for the change.

If you know JavaScript, it's possible to hack the Hot Potatoes code to change it back to what you want, but it wouldn't stop a student opening the exercise in another browser window to look at the text, would it? Or making a screen shot copy of the text and looking at that. This doesn't just apply to Hot Potatoes, of course.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Living Hour.org -
Hi Glenys,

Thanks for the idea. I might look into that.

Best....David

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi there

You could experiment with using Lessons to display the text then provide the question on the next page. The Lesson module doesn't have a timer but will allow you to pose a question after the students have viewed the text.

Cheers
Teresa