Has anyone used the logs in Moodle to track hours that a student spends online in Moodle?

Has anyone used the logs in Moodle to track hours that a student spends online in Moodle?

by Mary Smith-Gagnon -
Number of replies: 10
We here at Blue Ridge Community College in Flat Rock, NC are trying track hours that a student spends online using the logs. We want to somehow get log in time and log out time, convert to hours and keep track. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Smith-Gagnon

Re: Has anyone used the logs in Moodle to track hours that a student spends online in Moodle?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

This question of saving logged in times comes up regularly in the Moodle forums and invariably I ask "why would one want to do that?". I expect some institution officials require a sort of "timespent online" listing for their students. How can we persuade them that that kind of information is almost meaningless? A student can be logged on into their moodle school site and be doing thousands of other things totally unrelated to their moodle "lessons" at the same time. Anyway, as will all data that is collected through electronic resources, the final important question to aks oneself is "what purposes will that data be used for"?

Joseph

PS.- I'm not sure your post has to do with this forum's topic "Usability". You might try re-posting to the General Problems forum.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Has anyone used the logs in Moodle to track hours that a student spends online in Moodle?

by Mary Smith-Gagnon -
Thank you for your response. The use of this information is for the state auditors. If a class is based on contact hours and put online, the auditors need "proof" that the students spent the time online for the number of contact hours. I understand that the student may be logged in and not necessarily working in Moodle. But, that's what they want. I will repost this to the General Problems forum, thank you for the suggestion.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Moving this discussion to the general problems forum as suggested...

PS Off-topic: Mary, what a gorgeous profile picture you have!

by Alice Keeler -
Besides justifying the amount of time spent to the state, it can be used in conjuncton with the log that shows what work the student has done. If they are spending 20 hours and only completed a couple of things.... that is telling.
In reply to Alice Keeler

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

I don't exactly take into consideration the time logged on, but I do the "records" or "hits". This is specially relevant on courses with a large amount of interactive exercises. It shows that students are doing something, not just logged on to the course and gone away to do something else as Joseph suggests.

For example, when I see a weak student with low scores has 1500 hits I take the time to dig into her exercise records (very time consuming - I can't do it for every exercise for every student) and see she's been doing exercises over and over to try and improve her score. I give her credit for that.

Mind you, I don't tell the students I do this - I don't want them to start clicking around just to up their number of hits.

Cheers,
Glenys
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by lawrence li -

Glenys

how you can record the hit rate of student?thanks

In reply to lawrence li

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Lawrence,

I don't know any way to do it automatically. I just copy it into an Excel file manually from each student's report. I only do it when I do my final marking and I only have 48 students so it doesn't take very long. I don't know if there's somewhere on a Moodle course where you can see a table of all the hits of all the students. It would be convenient.

Cheers,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Lindley Bailey -
If moodle doesn't have a way, database software does. BUT you have to know the database software. Check to see which software you are running (most likely MySql). There should be a front end for it, and you can create reports to extract this info.

Since 90% of us are not DB admins, but we teach, check around for a geek that likes puzzles and enlist their help. Just make sure to keep all passwords to yourself. (have tehm code it, but show you where to insert passwords and usernames.)
If you have a computer class there, present it as a problem for the class.
Task 1: Create a moodle on a USB stick. Everyone watches the instructor do this, then each does it on their own USB.
Task 2: Each Student creates a class. Backs it up, downloads it and imports it into the Teachers master USB.
Task 3: Each student logs into teachers moodle, and takes as many classes as possible during that class period. (Or after hours)
Task 4: Teacher copies master moodle USB onto student USBs. Students are then given the task to create a report giving you what you want.
To spice it up, make it a contest and present prizes.

At the very least, publicize the winner. Even geeks love praise.
Sincerely,
Lin Bailey
In reply to Mary Smith-Gagnon

by Rob Johnson -
There is a course dedication block in modules and plug-ins. It does what you are trying to accomplish.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Wen Hao Chuang -

It seems that the "course dedication block" is still only for Moodle 1.9. Is there anything that is "Moodle 2.0" ready? Just curious, thanks!