Firefox Issue

Firefox Issue

by Frank Erazo -
Number of replies: 8
I am experiencing a weird little problem with Firefox and the HTML Editor.

I am using a Mac, so the only browser I can use that will show the HTML editor is Firefox. Every now and then the HTML editor does not show - in other words, I can only format the text using HTML code.

In a search of the Moodle forums, someone mentioned the config file being corrupt, and the final option was to do a complete reinstall. Rather than reinstalling, I created a brand new Moodle instance, and it appeared to be working. Then when I wanted to add a new label, the HTML editor was gone again.

I have already cleared out history and the cache from Firefox. I have even reset Firefox. Each time the problem appears to go away, but then quickly returns.

I'm not sure what else I can do. I am using Firefox 3.6. I'm dreading a reinstall of Firefox, but if that's the course I need to take, so be it.

Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Erazo

Re: Firefox Issue

by charles Requena Palomino -
I have the same problem, use moodle 2.0, is better, and use, tinymce editor, by default, and work, in many webbrowser(opera, IE8, firefox, chrome, iceweasel), test personaly for me.

sorry, my bad english
In reply to charles Requena Palomino

by Graeme Starke -
I am also having the same or similar problem with Firefox AND IE8.
I have just upgraded from 1.9.4 to 1.9.8, and since then the html editor is doing strange things.
It works fine for a while - I do a number of edits - and then fit suddenly comes up without the full html editor operation.
What is even stranger is that I then quit and load IE8 and check the site and the editor works for a while in IE8 and then does exactly the same thing.
Quitting and going back to Firefox sometimes has it working right again but not always.

Some have suggested a config.php problem: I've looked at my config php and it seems fine. I can't see how a config error could mean it is OK sometimes and then suddenly not.
In reply to Graeme Starke

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

I've been using Moodle (1.9.8 at the moment) on a Mac OS X running Leopard for 3 years now and I've never had problem with html editor in Firefox. I'm running 3.6.1 at the moment.

I've never has a problem with the htlm editor in Firefox on XP either.

Could it be due to a Firefox add-on ?

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Graeme Starke -
Hi

Since my issue applies to both Firefox and IE8 it probably is not just a firefox add-on.
I had also been using Firefox for probably a year now without issue.
Another extremely wierd part of the problem that I am seeing is that the editor works in some PARTS of my site but not others!! I have a large number of courses, and in some of them the editor doesn't work and in others (ones where I haven't done much editing recently) it does work.
Quite bizzare!
Cheers
Graeme

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Graeme,

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I've just remembered I have had a problem with Firefox connected to the "drag and drop" possibility of inserting links. I mean, where you can just drag a link from one Firefox window and drop it in another. I noticed in the past that after doing this more than once, the text editor "seized up" and wouldn't record further changes. Sorry, I'm not a coder, I don't know how to express this in a technically more correct way. I know there are problems with htmlarea stripping out certain code and that certain graphic themes are better than others. Have you tested that you have a problem even using the standard theme?

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Graeme Starke -
Hi
I have realised that my problem is NOT firefox - I installed Google Chrome and get the same problem. Then I tried accessing my site from a different computer and the editor works fine. It therefore seems that something on my computer is throwing things out.
I will start a new question for this.
Cheers
Graeme

by Graeme Starke -
Hi
I appear to have just solved the problem by clearing the cache in Firefox.
The editor is now loading on my computer again.
Hopefully this may be a solution to the problem for other people too.
Cheers
Graeme

by tony chesney -
There are other strange reported Firefox behaviours out there with the latest version (3.6.3) related to clearing the cache.  Hotmail users, for instance, are reporting that Firefox is not including the "history" of a message in a "Reply" until the cache is cleared.