Glossary navigation bar/index language issue

Glossary navigation bar/index language issue

от Itay Ophir -
Number of replies: 28
Hi,

Is there a way to have the glossary navigation bar show two language alefbet's??
(Moodle 1.9.7 )

This is a must for anyone who needs to create a glossary that has two or more languages that are not with the same alefbet.

English_Alefbet + Russian
English_Alefbet + Hebrew
English_Alefbet + Chinese
Russian + Chinese
Arabic + Russian
Hebrew + Arabic
Etc..

Right now the glossary navigation is based on the moodle language setting and only shows one Alfabet in the navigation. adding terms in another alefbet does not show up in the navigation bar.

Notice in the attached picture an Hebrew glossary with an Hebrew navbar, but a term "apple" in the glossary doesnt create the "a" Index char in the navbar.

Thanks,
Itay Ophir
Attachment glossary_nav_bar.jpg
In reply to Itay Ophir

Re: Glossary navigation bar/index language issue

от Joseph Rézeau -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Particularly helpful Moodlers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers Снимка на Translators

Hello Itay,

I'm afraid what you want would be quite difficult to implement in Moodle, but probably possible, if it was commissionned.

I am attaching a "fake" screenshot; is that what you would like to see?

On a more general principle, I do not think it would be logical to have a glossary where the entries would consist of words in different languages (as in my attached example) and would therefore need more than a single alphabet listing to appear. I cannot imagine dictionaries (paper or online) where entries would be in mixed languages.

However, what might be quite useful is to have the possibility, in each individual glossary settings, to select - for the alphabetical listing - between the languages available on the moodle site being used. So you might have:

• an English - Russian dictionary with entries in English and the English alphabetical listing
  • a Russian-English dictionary with entries in Russian and the Russian alphabetical listing
  • an all-Russian glossary with entries and definitions in Russian and the Russian alphabetical listing
  • etc.

Please anyone interested let's have your views.

Joseph

Attachment image01.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

от Itay Ophir -

Hello Joseph,

YES, your "fake" screen shot is what I was talking about that is needed - One glossary with mixed alphabet's that are also reflected in the navigation bar/index.

The need for such functionality comes from existing online glossaries (in other platforms) that are used in many academic courses in our university.

On the principal level -

I believe that the need for such functionality is very important in counties with alphabet different to English. In such places students often need to know the "English" way diff rent terms are written.

Example 1: A higher education course in chemistry in which the teacher wants to teach the students scientific terms (in English) that are commonly used in academic papers. In the same glossary the teacher also wants to have the same terms in Hebrew, so students who read academic papers in Hebrew or English will know them in both ways.

Example 2: A course about famous music composers. the English way of writing the composer name is important but also the Hebrew (the local language) way is needed.

Does it help to explain the need? 

Thanks,

Itay Ophir

In reply to Itay Ophir

от Joseph Rézeau -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Particularly helpful Moodlers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers Снимка на Translators
Hello Itay,
Thank you for the explanation and the examples. I will think about how this could be achieved and report here.
Joseph

от Itay Ophir -

Hello Joseph,

Your suggestion "to have the possibility, in each individual glossary settings, to select - for the alphabetical listing - between the languages available on the moodle site being used" is even more important than my initial question of multilingual index. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but right now if your moodle course is in alphabet X, the glossary terms "must" be in the same alphabet to show up in the top index. I believe separating this, as you suggested is even more important.

Thanks,

Itay Ophir

In reply to Itay Ophir

от Nadav Kavalerchik -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers Снимка на Translators
i suggested Tami that i would write a patch (code) that will run through the Subjects and build the Index dynamically. no matter what is the language.

when it's done. i will have a link to the MDL here.

unless, you have a diferrent/ better idea усмивка
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

от Joseph Rézeau -
Nadav,
I don't understand what your "dynamically - built index would look like" . Would it be a mixture of different alphabets ? Can you post a mock-up screen ?
Joseph

от Nadav Kavalerchik -
Снимка на Core developers Снимка на Plugin developers Снимка на Testers Снимка на Translators
yes. (mixture)
is that ok ? (does it help / solve the issue)

от Joseph Rézeau -
I think mixing up different alphabets will be confusing to the end-user. I am currently working towards a solution to include more than one alphabet listing. Wait for news in this forum,
Joseph

от Itay Ophir -

Hello Nadav, Joseph and all.

I just noticed the same issue of alphabet nav menu that is course-centric vs. content-centric also appears when using the "Browse by Author" tab in the glossary module.

If the glossary term's author name is in one alphabet and the course language is in another, the nav menu will not list the authors initials.

Thanks,

Itay Ophir

This picture shows is:

Attachment by_author.jpg
In reply to Itay Ophir

от Nadav Kavalerchik -
Yap. indeed an issue.

especially in Moodle systems where there is a mixed use of username's Firstname and Lastanme in different languages ( like we have here in Israel, in the High Education system and collages ) users have accounts in Hebrew and in English names. and it is also difficult to find them on the system. since you are never sure what the exact name is.

not sure what should be a good solution for that. thou i had several discussions about this issue with some SysAdmins i work with.
In reply to Itay Ophir

от Joseph Rézeau -
OK I will try to take this new issue into account when I work towards a hack. I will also open an issue in the bug tracker soon.
Joseph
@Nadav, how it is possible for users to have their account name in both English and Hebrew?

от Nadav Kavalerchik -
They can have an Hebrew (first name/last name) account OR an English account OR both (some times). on the same system. for different courses. very confusing. (they insist)

от Itay Ophir -

So from the moodle system point of view, it seems there is a need to support multi-alphabet account names on the same system and reflect it in the glossary indexes?

1. Moodle site in alphabet-X with account names in Alphabet-Y (for example:site in English and accounts in Russian)

2. Moodle site in alphabet-X with account names in Alphabet-Y and account names in Alphabet-Z  (for example:site in English and accounts in Russian and Hebrew)

I think that if someone opens an international moodle site, there is surly a need for such functionality, right?

Thanks,

Itay Ophir

In reply to Itay Ophir

от Joseph Rézeau -
Itay,
Since that feature is not specific to the Glossary module, I suggest that you post your message again to the Languages forum. It will be interesting to see if there is an interest in multi-alphabet accounts on Moodle sites.
Thanks,
Joseph

от Itay Ophir -

Joseph,

To my understanding, moodle already supports the creation of multi-alphabet accounts (as seen above in my example pics).

What is not supported is in the Glossary Module - the "reflection" of the multi-alphabet in the index navigation bar.

There might be other modules (activities or resources) that also lack that "reflection", I didn't test all of them, yet усмивка

So is it still a "glossary" issue or a "language" issue?

Thanks,

Itay Ophir

от Nicola Piccolo -

Dear Mr. Rézeau,

my name is Nicola Piccolo and I'm an Italian engineer. I'm planning to work on an e-learning web site for Japanese language with a friend of mine and we chose Moodle as the platform to use for this project.

I'd like to know if there are good news about your analysis of the multi-language version of glossary index entries because we'd like to have a glossary with hiragana and katakana characters instead of the roman ones; surely we could use the romanization version of Japanese words as a work-around but it would be clearly useless because we're trying to push people to learn first the Japanese word, then its meaning in Italian language.

I guess there are some constraints and architectural issues about this topic, so I'd like to know if there is a clear roadmap for this enhancement.

Best regards,

Nicola Piccolo

In reply to Nicola Piccolo

от Joseph Rézeau -

@Nicola,

Unfortunately no progress has been made on this topic in the latest versions of Moodle.

Joseph

от Frank Ralf -
Is there an issue in the bug tracker already?
In reply to Frank Ralf

от Joseph Rézeau -

I provided a patch in MDL-22233. But there have been zero votes so far.

Joseph

от Nicola Piccolo -

Thank you Joseph,

I'll apply your patch and I'll be back soon with my opinion.

Nicola

от Joseph Rézeau -

Nicola,

Please do NOT apply the patch on a production server; apply on a TEST server. Please note that the patch is against moodle 1.9.8 and might not work on a different version. Finally note that you also have to add a field to your moodle database.

Carefully read the instructions in MDL-22233 and use at own risk.

Joseph

от Nicola Piccolo -

Thank you Joseph for your kindness!

Please don't worry,  I'll read carefully all of your instructions about how to install the patch and I'll apply the patch to my local Moodle 2.1.1 installation (after a backup of the module glossary). I'll keep you up-to-date about my progress.

Best regards,

Nicola

от Joseph Rézeau -

Nicola, please do NOT use that patch on a moodle 2.1 installation until I have checked it is compatible!

Joseph

от Nicola Piccolo -

Ok Joseph! I realized that it would be more convenient to continue posting on your thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=148751 

because of the history of the information you provided to the Moodle community.

Thank you again,

Nicola

от Joseph Rézeau -

Oh yes, thanks for reminding me of that thread! Better to continue there, indeed.

At the moment I am stuck with a problem when upgrading my patch for 2.1.

Joseph