Snow Leopard Installation

Snow Leopard Installation

by Ross Oakes -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all,

I just upgraded my Xserve from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and broke our school's Moodle Site.

It appears that Apple have changed their versions of both PHP and mySQL.

To fix the problem I reveted back to the original Apple version of PHP has this now has GD support built in... no need for Entropy.

But of bigger concern was that mySQL would not stop or allow me to restart.

To remedy this I used the following steps:
• First logged in as a Root user onto my server.
• Disable the mySQL service using Server Admin
• Then enabled the viewing of all the hidden folders on the Server hard drive. To do this use enter the following command using the Terminal -
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

• Enter the Server's hard drive and navigate to /var, it will appear as shortcut. Double click, find the mySQL folder and remove it i.e. drag to the desktop
• Now go to Server Admin again and re enable and restart the mySQL service, this will recreate a new mySQL folder in /var.
• Now hopefully you have a backup of your system prior to completing the upgrade, I had used 'Time Machine". Enter your time machine physical drive don't use the Time Machine app. Then navigate to /var/mySQL and open the folder. Copy any Moodle related files/folders back to your current /var folder.
• Now check your Moodle Website using your browser of choice and all should function again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ross Oakes

Re: Snow Leopard Installation

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Hi Ross, while I am not sure that there are too many Mac Users, with Moodle, (OK, I really have no idea so don't give me too hard a time, read on..) That you have had a problem and have found a solution, then placed it here for others, is just excellent Moodle citizenship approve.

1st Nomination for Random Act of Kindness for 2010 to Ross Oakes. wink
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Dixon -
Hi Ross,

I am just new to MAC's and have just installed a new Mini Mac Server running Snow Leopard, the wiki / blog that it comes with is pretty basic, but does the job.

I am not sure what to do to install Moodle, sounds like a straight install won't work..

Can you point me in the right direction?

I want to access it from the net, not just internally, that was easy to setup, for the preinstalled web server.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Eric Smith -
I'm successfully running 1.9.8 and 2.0head on 10.6.3 server. It's not the easiest thing, but a couple of pointers:
The step-by-step 10.5 server guide is pretty accurate for 10.6 EXCEPT for the PHP, as the entropy release has not been updated for 10.6
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Step_by_Step_Installation_on_a_Mac_OS_X_10.5_Server

So, you need a little extra help to get a php install that will actually work well with moodle. I recommend you install the dev tools and install macports. The macports version of php 5.2.13 has worked well for me. I'll see if I can remember exactly what I did to get everything working together and write another reply.