Students cant access front page forum

Students cant access front page forum

by Gerard Libby -
Number of replies: 7
So I added a forum as an activity on the front page of my site. I did this just so everyone could have access to it regardless of what courses they were enrolled in. As the administrator the forum opens fine, but students get a message stating they dont have permission to view that discussion. Why is this? The groups setting is set to no groups, its on the front page, and the students trying are enrolled in at least one course. I dont understand why they wouldn't have permission.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerard Libby

Re: Students cant access front page forum

by Carey Campbell -
My students can't post new discussions to the forum, either. ANY forum, no matter what the settings or over-rides (of permissions). I'm in quite a pickle. Several people are having a similar problem.
In reply to Carey Campbell

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gerald, please see News forum for details of how to enable logged-in users to view the site news.

Carey, please double-check that the forums you want students to post in are not news forums (which normally only teachers and administrators may add posts to). By default, students can post in all other types of forum. See Forum module for more information.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Carey Campbell -
Thanks much, Helen. It was all forums, for sure, so I did the last thing I could think of: delete all groups. It worked (I can breathe again) just fine. From there I can slowly, experimentally build up groups again. I'm still coming to understand Moodle, but I'm thoroughly impressed!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Richard Manigault -

Hi Helen,

I have a similar problem with one of my forums. All new students can't post to my general discussion forum. It is not a news forum just a general discussion forum. The name of the forum is HMDH academy community forum on my front page. Here is a test account you can use to see the problem. I deleted all groups as others did but it still will not allow access. I have been struggle with this for over a week and I'm about to go crazy trying to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to the offending forum:

http://howtomakeadesignerhandbag.com/academy/mod/forum/view.php?id=106

testor

Testing123!

In reply to Richard Manigault

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you tried changing the front page role to "student" in front page settings?