Random Question

Random Question

by Mahesh Babu Telakula Sathyan -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

I have a questions in a category that have 25 questions and I would like to randomise this and choose all the 25 of them . It shows up only 20 questions.

In another category I have 15 questions and only 10 are allowed for randomisation

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mahesh Babu Telakula Sathyan

Re: Random Question

by Itamar Tzadok -
Could it be that by 'randomise' you actually mean 'shuffle'? Randomizing is for selecting a random set of questions from a larger set. Shuffling is for changing randomly the order of the questions. Of course if you add all questions in the category as random questions it will have the same effect as shuffling but it has some side-effects such as making analysis a harder to produce. You can set the quiz to shuffle questions in the quiz setting page.

Now, if you do use randomizing and you have essay questions these questions won't participate unless you enable it in the site administration (depending on your Moodle version).

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Hi,

The questions are multiple choice only. In a Quiz when I need to select the questions I want to choose alll of them so that I need not add question by question to the quiz. There are no Essay type questions in this category

BTW I am on 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100310)

by Itamar Tzadok -
See image below.

Red: Select all the displayed questions.
Blue: Display all the questions in the category.
Green: Add all the selected questions to the quiz in one click.

Hope this helps. smile
Attachment quiz-edit-addtoquiz.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hi,

Thanks for taking out the time to explain. The problem that I have is not what you are saying.

Attached is the screen shot.

I have 15 questions but onl;y 10 can be picked up from the dropdown list.

Attachment random.png

by Itamar Tzadok -
That's the same screen. I simply omitted the category dropdown and the add random part.

You can use the category dropdown in conjunction with the Move to button. You select the questions you wish to move from the category you are viewing, select the destination category in the dropdown and click Move to. This is unrelated to the random questions.

If you insist on using random questions you can keep adding them 1-10 each time up to the number of questions in the category. For instance, if you have 15 questions in the category, add 10 random questions, and then add 5. But as I suggested above, if you want to add all the questions in the category you don't really need to add random questions. It should be better to simply add all the questions and enable shuffle questions.

smile

by Pamela Gutierrez Zamora -
Please, can you tell how can I enable essay questions to be randomized in v.1.9.7??

In reply to Pamela Gutierrez Zamora

Svar: Re: Random Question

by Jens Andersson -

My sysadmin said he found an option under "Experimental":

Random questions can use manually graded questionsselectmanual

Default: No

Can the random question type select a manually graded question when it is making its random choice of a question from a category?

He said he ticked a box. When I later tested I could add random essay questions. Hope this helps.

/Jens 

In reply to Jens Andersson

Re: Svar: Re: Random Question

by Drea Moffatt -
Can your sysadmin give me more information?
I'm having the same problem
Thanks so much
In reply to Drea Moffatt

Re: Svar: Re: Random Question

by Pamela Gutierrez Zamora -
Hi Drea!

You have to activate the option "Random questions can use manually graded questions", located in:

Block Site Administration --> Miscelanous --> Experimental.

That´s all... hope you can do it! smile

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The keep the dropdown a sane length, it only shows options 1-9, then 10, 20, ... 100.

If you want to add 25 random questions, just add 20, then add 5 (or the other way round).
In reply to Tim Hunt

Thanks to both of you.

It did not occur to me that the we could choose a second or third tranche from the list of questions in a category.

I think the suggestion to add all serves the same purpose unless you want to have different questions across participants and where the questions in the category are quite a few and you would like to limit the questionsbeing chosen.