Selective Release in a quiz - how can it be done??

Selective Release in a quiz - how can it be done??

de Rik Hall -
Number of replies: 14
Greetings

I am the new Moodle support person - new to Moodle, not new to support.

Here is what one professor is asking:

--------------------

Hi guys,

I need to set up duplicates of some quizzes that are only visible to some students. This is called selective release in WebCT. If students miss a quiz I can set up an alternate quiz, but I don’t want all the students to see it – it confuses them! How can a quiz be restricted to just a subset of students? This is a very critical function that I cannot see how to do with the current set up. Is it an add-on?

Cheers,

J
---------------

So, please give me any suggestions you have.

We are using Moodle 1.9.6+ (Build: 20091122)

Thanks

Rik
Promeyo de puntuacions: -
In reply to Rik Hall

Re: Selective Release in a quiz - how can it be done??

de Itamar Tzadok -
This is called Groupings in Moodle. riseta
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

de Rik Hall -
Thanks for all the posts. But - I still have no clue how to tell the prof how to make one quiz just available and just visible to a few selected students.

Here is part of his email to me:
-------------------
Yes they mention groups, but the groups does not hide the quiz from those that are not to see the quiz – creating confusion for the rest of the class (I already had one confused student email me this morning about the quiz I set up for a late student just last night!). Another respondent did mention roles but the response wasn’t explained in any detail and I couldn’t follow what she was suggesting.
-------------------

Thanks for all and any suggestions

Rik

In reply to Rik Hall

de Itamar Tzadok -
  1. Create a group and add to it the students who need to access a certain quiz.
  2. Create a grouping and add to it the group.
  3. In the Quiz settings, show advance, select the grouping and tick available to group members only.
This should effectively hide the quiz from anyone not in the grouping on the course page. But the gradebook currently doesn't consider grouping so you can put all the alternate grade items in one category, and use the category total to show the grade of that activity.

riseta
Attachment groups-grouping.png
In reply to Rik Hall

de Tim Hunt -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Peer reviewers Imachen de Plugin developers
As Itamar hints, groupings can be used to make a quiz available to selective students.

However, what you really want is this new feature: MDL-16478, which Matt Petro has implemented for Moodle 2.0.
In reply to Rik Hall

de Susan Mangan -
hmm I haven't tried groupings yet, you have to enable this in the admin settings first as it defaults to being disabled and I was a little reluctant to considering it is listed under 'experimental' ...

If you want an alternative to groupings you can use 'Roles'. I created a new role called "Student: prevent access to quiz" and then modify the capabilities accordingly.

You can then Assign students this role at the quiz level.

You will probably have to either 'exempt' the grade for each student that is excluded from the quiz so it doesn't count against them or you can put multiple quizzes in a grade category and select the highest, drop the lowest x, etc.

Groupings might be easier... but not sure since I haven't tried it yet.
In reply to Rik Hall

de ben reynolds -
Hi Rik,
I've got an idea or two, but I'm not quite clear on the situation. You say "miss a quiz." Do you mean the student is not present at the time everyone else takes the quiz? Or do you mean the student does not "pass" the quiz (e.g., gets a low score)?

And thus, the alternate quiz would not be a duplicate but an alternate with different questions or differently ordered question?

When we were using WebCT, we didn't use selective release, so I'm unfamiliar with it.
In reply to ben reynolds

de Rik Hall -
Here is his last email:

They missed the quiz at the regular time, for medical or other good reason. They need to sit an identical quiz but I don’t want the rest of the class aware that it is available again as those who missed it for no good reason will also then start requested alternate times/extensions and with larger classes this could become a nightmare. So, I’d like the same (or a duplicate) quiz visible only to selected students at a time outside the regular availability for the original quiz.
In reply to Rik Hall

de ben reynolds -
Okay, here's a totally different approach from the Groupings idea.

course admin > settings > Number of weeks/topics > the number you have PLUS ONE

Create the duplicate/alternate quiz and place it in the bottom most topic (which is the PLUS ONE week/topic).

Go back to settings and reduce the number of weeks/topics by one.

This "hides" the duplicate quiz, but leaves it available to students (unlike what happens when you close the eye & it becomes unavailable to students).

Copy the link to the duplicate quiz. Paste it in a message to the student. Student clicks on link and goes to the hidden quiz.

There are two problems with this approach. Very astute students may notice the duplicate quiz in the grade book or on the list of quizzes page. In grade book, you can help hide the quiz by moving it to the far right, but there's nothing you can do about the quizzes list (which, In our experience, most people never find).

The grouping method will hide the duplicate quiz in the grade book and the quiz list from those not a member of the grouping.
In reply to ben reynolds

de Mary Cooch -
Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Moodle HQ Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators
The grouping method will hide the duplicate quiz in the grade book .... from those not a member of the grouping.
Does it? I thought it didn't? (not that I am following you around of course, Ben...)
In reply to Mary Cooch

de Itamar Tzadok -
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

de ben reynolds -
Oh. I am wrong. It does not.

And, now I understand what Itamar said about categories in the Grade Book. You're hiding the individual grades and showing only the category total grade, which prevents students from realizing the quiz is there.
In reply to ben reynolds

de Susan Mangan -
I like this! You could use this method in conjunction with assigning the Role 'prevent student from accessing quiz' for the remainder of the students "just to be safe".
In reply to Susan Mangan

de Tiffany Morgan -
What about requiring a password for those students who should selectively gain access to the quiz? (or changing the password to something new if a password was initally required)

It seems to work with my testing so far, but if I'm missing loophole please let me know!