Getting an error message every time I try to import a course

Getting an error message every time I try to import a course

by James Greenwood -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all

I'm struggling with backing up some of my courses from my school's VLE to my own to share with the teaching community. I have my own Moodle installation set up as a repository for people to access my courses freely without the need to log in, etc, but whenever I upload either of my two larger courses (both ~100mb in size) I get the following message:

"A required parameter (id) was missing"

Having banged my head against the keyboard for some time now I'd like to see if anyone can help - I know it's either a problem with the filesize (though I did try a partial backup of ~50mb that did the same), or some feature that my school's installation has that the blank one I'm restoring to doesn't If anyone would like to test the backups and see, they're here and here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions smile

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Greenwood

Re: Getting an error message every time I try to import a course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi James. I will have a go but over 100MB is pretty big and it might be that I get a timeout- how have you been restoring them? Have you been uploading them via ftp or through the Moodle interface?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok -well - not that this is very helpful to you but..
I downloaded the video editing course to my desktop
I went into a Moodle 1.9.8 via ftp
I uploaded the zipped folder into a course directory
I went to that course in Moodle - found your zipped folder -clicked "restore" and chose to restore to a brand new course- and it worked fine.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Greenwood -
Okay, can you give me the relative filepath from the Moodle root directory for a course directory? I've tried uploading to the 'files' directory as well as uploading a file in Moodle, then downloading the whole installation to my computer to search for it with no luck. I've seen mention of a moodledata folder that I can't see on my new installation (created using Softaculous)... I wonder if this could be the problem.

by James Greenwood -
Sorry, didn't mention that I've only been able to upload via Moodle seeing as I can't find the filepath to upload via FTP.

by Mary Cooch -
ok James - if you go to Moodle on your server or via ftp client you should have a folder Moodle but OUTSIDE of that should be a folder moodledata (or in some installations it is called uploaddata) and that is where all the folders for each course are stored. For example site files that you get to from the front page are in folder/directory number 1. Each course in Moodle has its own numbered folder that gets made once you put something in a course in Moodle. If you have stuff in courses already then there will be folders with numbers - if you go to a course and click on a resource you will see the number in the URL. If you make a new course and want to see its number you can create the folder by just uploading any old thing into it - text file -whatever - and then you will see the number of your course folder. So upload your zipped/backed up course into a folder/directory via ftp and then go to that course and restore it from there. It has worked for me which means your backing up was successful so you didn't do anything wrong.
edit - forgot to say - the moodledata/uploaddata folder *should* be outside of the moodle directory for security - I have never heard of softaculous but I guess it must be like Fantastico?