moodle/course:changecategory

moodle/course:changecategory

by Marcus Hoberg -
Number of replies: 2

We use 1.9.7 with the legacy roles only. I´m a little confused about this:

The Admin role setting for the capability moodle/course:changecategory is "allowed", and the admin can do so. OK

For the Course Creator role it is "not set", and the course creator can only change the Category when creating a new course. The Course categories page shows him a list of course categories, but nothing can be changed here. The cc can´t enter existing courses, and if he is enroled, there is no way to access the admin>settings page. ?

The Teacher role is set to "allow", but he does not see the Category option in the admin>settings menu. ???

So it seems that the legacy roles work well, but this is not reflected by the role settings. If not with the role permissions, where can I find the definitions that really trigger what is happening?

Thanky for any help, Marcus

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus Hoberg

Re: moodle/course:changecategory

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Marcus,

Teachers should be able to change the course category from the edit course settings page if they have the capability moodle/course:changecategory allowed. However I've just tried logging in as a teacher on a Moodle 1.9.8 site and found that they couldn't. thoughtful Perhaps it's a bug.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: moodle/course:changecategory

by Marcus Hoberg -

Hi Hellen,

I checked this with my version archive, and found the following:

In 1.4.3 the teacher was able to change the course category from the edit course settings page.

In 1.5.4, 1.6.6, 1.8.4, 1.9.4. and 1.9.7 he isn´t. And from my perspective I would say that he shouldn´t be able to do that. This is course creator or admin work. Since the "switch role to" button is available, the admin can still see the "change course catergory" button after switching to the teachers role.

The right to "change course category" (moodle/course:changecategory) came into moodle after 1.9.4 and before 1.9.7.

My point is: If not with the role permissions, where can I find the definitions that really trigger what is happening?

Best Regards, Marcus