Moodle word counter

Moodle word counter

by Francisco Morales -
Number of replies: 4
I have not found any information about the online text assignment world counter. Why is there a deviation between Office Word's "word counter" and moodle one?

Is moodle including , " . ) and/or any other symbol instead of only words?

Thank you,
Francisco

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francisco Morales

Re: Moodle word counter

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you go to site administration>modules>assignments then you can set the counter either to count characters or words whichever you prefer.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francisco Morales -
Thanks Mary. The problem is that even it is set to count words, moodle is counting more words than what Microsoft Word does.

I have not found any information about what moodle is counting. Maybe is including other characters besides words.

Francisco
In reply to Francisco Morales

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well that is interesting - I haven't compared the MS Word count with the online text assignment word count to see the difference - when I get some time I will have a look.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marika Birell -
I have experienced the same problem. Moodle seems to count hyphenations as different words, while MS Word doesn't. But also every quotation mark and Scandinavian character in the text adds one word to the counter, which results in a far too high number of words counted for at text in Swedish.