Can I bulk upload users and have them already marked as having completed a course?

Can I bulk upload users and have them already marked as having completed a course?

by Heather Whitney -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all,

I really hoping someone can help me with this.

Background: I have a lot (20k+) people enrolled in a course (SCORM course).

I have been nagging people to take the course in batches of about 2k at a time -- with a few weeks between each round.

It looks like early on in this process when I was editing the SCORM course I deleted the course entirely instead of just updating that resource. This meant that I deleted the "complete" mark (i.e. the "1" instead of the "0") for a lot of students early on.

I of course found this out the hard way -- when I went back to nag them I got literally thousands of emails telling me they had already completed the course!

As a solution we've decided it's just easier to say that everyone who was asked to take the course before a specific date will be marked as having completed it.

The problem is... I'm having problems figuring out how to do that. My idea was to re-upload those users and in the bulk upload add some sort of magically column that will have them marked as having completed the course.

Can I do that? What would I title that column in my excel uploading spreadsheet?

I would really love to figure this out today if at all possible!

Pray I never accidentally delete people's scores again!

Thank you!

-Heather
In reply to Heather Whitney

Re: Can I bulk upload users and have them already marked as having completed a course?

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Heather,
So your whole original course is now gone? (because if at least the course shell with students is still there, it would help).

Let's imagine for now that you have a course shell, and all students are there.
Create a .cvs file with 2 columns one with username another with scores.

username
score
student001
student002
student003

1. Go to Administration > Grades > Import tab
  2. Browse to a file, click Upload grades
  3. On the Import preview screen set:
    • Identify user by:
      • Map from: username
      • Map to: username
    • Grade item mappings
      • username: ignore
      • Score: newgradeitem (this will create a new column) OR select already existing grade item (column). Note that this action will override existing grades in that column, if there were any.
  4. Click Upload grades button