quiz loading issues - crashes

quiz loading issues - crashes

by Melvin Shantz -
Number of replies: 2

I am transitioning to Moodle from other platforms. My questions were imported into Moodle version 1.8 from webct. I am giving a test for the second time having fixed code for the short answer questions that didn't import well.

Many questions have a Quicktime sound file built into them. The problem was in the actual taking of the test. The context is a lab with about 25 students taking the test at the same time. There are 49 questions in the test.

Quiz parameters:
-questions load one at a time with students saving answers and then checking the link to the next question.
-several attempts were permitted
-there was a timer
-the test had a password for entry

Problems:
-test crashing with a message about the database failing or a question not being linked to a question id
-when students got these messages, they often had to click on the course again and go back to the test
-extremely slow loading of the next question when clicked on

I have been in touch with our IT people to inquire. But I wonder what thoughts might be out there on this issue. Testing is one of the key features I use and it is something that has run very smoothly for me in WebCT, webassign and others.

Any leads on solutions here would be greatly appreciated. Has there been significant improvement in later versions?

Mel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melvin Shantz

Re: quiz loading issues - crashes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It sounds like the server is not powerful enough for what you are trying to do, or at least it is badly tuned.

Plenty of people successfully run quizzes with more than 25 simultaneous users.

Perhaps point you IT staff as the Hardware and Performance forum.
In reply to Melvin Shantz

Re: quiz loading issues - crashes

by Anne-Gaëlle Habib -
Maybe, you need to informe your informatique support smile
I try to find a better solution but without the 2185, it's very difficult!

Together is better...