videos outside moodledata folder

videos outside moodledata folder

by Nils Austa -
Number of replies: 2
Currently I keep videos outside moodledata folder because they are very big and do not need backing up that often.

Can anyone give me an idea how to make them accessible only for persons who have an access to associated courses?

In my case the moodledata and the videos folder are in the same server.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nils Austa

Re: videos outside moodledata folder

by Sean Farrell -
I have a similar problem to you Nils. Storing large media files, and in particular video files in the moodledata files is causing us to have excessively large course zip backups.

A solution which I am experimenting with for a couple of courses allows us to issue time limited authorisation tokens using apache module mod_auth_token. This allows us to restrict access to files stored in particular directories outside the usual data directory.

The video files in the token directories are served directly from apache, and we can take advantage in the pseudo-streaming capabilities of mod_flv and mod_h264 extensions.

It does depend on being able to build an moodle install apache modules, and having a dedicated or virtual server is probably required for this.

I hope to get some time soon to combine my simple token issuing script to become an extra filetype or streamer option in the moodle flv module.