Having chat on a course page as opposed to the Home Page

Having chat on a course page as opposed to the Home Page

by Paul Langdon -
Number of replies: 5

Hi moodlers!

The heading about sums it up. When I turn chat on, the whole of years 7 and 8 get obsessed with it 24/7 and year 11 mess about in class time with it. I have disabled it but would like to have it for sensible sixth formers to be able to pm me with course work issues of an evening. Can it be inserted into courses via blocks and this way only those with course enrolment keys can get it?

(God I hope the answer isnt really obvious......)

I'm aware that I can create a role for chatters and asign it but what a drag doing this for 250 sixth formers.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Langdon

Re: Having chat on a course page as opposed to the Home Page

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In the course you want it just go to add an activity>chat and enable it there - then as long as your course is protected with an enrolment key only the relevant 6th formers can see it(edit: Heybig grin It's you!big grin)
Do you mean Chat or do you mean Messaging?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

Paul,

If you mean chat, you can also set the times that it is open. 

cool

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Langdon -

Hey Mary ya little sugar plum fairy?? ! wink How are you?

Believe you're over this neck of the woods soon.. am I right?

Thanks for the advice (as always)

Paul

BTW I mean chat so we can all have 'live' chats in a group while we do coursework.

In reply to Paul Langdon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

big grin After Easter - yes I am!

If it's chats in a group then just add a chat (with an open/close time as Paula said) to a course where your 6th formers will be working.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Langdon -

Yep it works. Cyber beer and a bit fat X coming at you......

Cheers

Ps Thanks as well Paula !approve