Track questions according to objectives or standards?

Track questions according to objectives or standards?

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Number of replies: 5
Hey all,

In the era of NCLB standard testing, it'd be a huge help if there was someway to track how students do on different objectives/standards across different quizzes.

For example, a skill might be reading a simple bar graph. It'd be awesome if there was some way to label any questions that involve this objective so that after a student takes a series of quizzes during a month or so, a teacher could pull up a report of how the student did on this specific standard.

Is this possible? Any plans in the future if not?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Liang-Vergara

Re: Track questions according to objectives or standards?

by Paula Clough -

Chris,

Sorry, I don't know enough of the programing to know what could be done.

A work around for now would be to put a code in the title of the question.."Math3S2PO3 Simple Bar Graph" to help track which questions are for which standard/performance objective quickly. With the code, it would be easier to pick out the information a teacher wanted on the current reports. You might even use a database to make a checklist of performance objectives for students and check them off after they have been mastered.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Hey Paula,

Good call - great minds must think alike cuz that's the current workaround I've been setting up! I have each question consist of two lines - the first line is the standard in bold and the 2nd line is the actual question. After students finish, they have to write down what standards they got wrong. Sort of a hybrid approach, but it does the trick for the moment.

Although, I am a believer in "learning through writing down" to some degree - so perhaps the extra step of students having to stop, read, write down what standards they missed is for the greater good.

I also added in the "checklist" activity which does what you talked about in the database setup, but in a more friendly, goal oriented style. it will actually update a progress bar as you check off more things - so there's an added sense of satisfaction when 100% is reached.

Peace-

by Paula Clough -

Chris,

Yep those great minds....

This is a little different but thought you might enjoy it...one of the contributors in the Exchange added a database where students could create questions for quizzes.  It has a list of the currently studied objectives so students could pick out which objective their question was meeting as well as rating the difficulty.  There is a sample in the demo.moodle.org  in the Exchange Sample if you want to take a look. 

cool

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What you want is not currently possible, and there is not much on the way that will help.

What is coming in Moodle 2.0 is the ability to tag questions (like you can tag blog posts). However, you can't do much with the tagging information yet.

I suppose that you could write a custom quiz report, so that if you tagged questions with things from the standard, the report would then show scores against those tags.

Sorry that there isn't a better answer than that.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Hey Tim,

Yea - a custom "tag" report should do the trick. Just something so that at least after taking a quiz a teacher/student could see what objectives are mastered or not.

Hopefully 2.0 will pave the way for some better quiz reporting smile