Free moodle hosting options

Free moodle hosting options

by John Grigutis -
Number of replies: 21
Hi,

My wife would like to use an on-line collaboration tool like moodle for a class she teaches. She asked the school if they would pay for a moodle installation, but they didn't want to get into it. So I was searching for any free hosting options. I found these:

http://iteach.org/ (no info)
http://ninehub.com/ (based in Australia)
http://www.keytoschool.com/ (based in India)

I'm leery of these places (too good to be true?) and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

I'm especially interested in iteach.org since I can't find any information about them other than their website. The WHOIS lookup shows that it was registered by "Dixie Web Marketing" in Utah.

The other option I'm considering is just hosting it ourselves on our home computer with a dynamic DNS service (http://www.dyndns.com/).
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Grigutis

Re: Free moodle hosting options

by Chris Elliott -
Hi John

I could recommend a free Linux software called "SME Server". you can d/l it from www.contribs.org.

If you are a bit tecchie, its worth a punt.

It will run on any half decent PC and can be used as an evaluation server while you noodle with Moodle and then, by adding a second ethernet card, with a tiny reconfig (not hard to do), the same system can become an online server (yes, it supports DynDNS) and can be a useful way to get a Moodle up and running.

They even have a module for Moodle (http://wiki.contribs.org/Moodle) which makes the install a snip.

Other than that, I use Netpivotal - for under £60 a year, you get ample hosting AND free apps like Moodle as addons. You even get a free domain.

Another one, highly recommended.

Chris

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear John,

I have hosted small courses on both keytoschool and ninehub and thoroughly recommend them. The folks at keytoschool are especially friendly, dedicated and provide responsive support for both standard Moodle and a number of third party add-in modules that I like. Both sites are very easy to set up.

I do numerous training workshops for new teachers starting with Moodle and usually have them build a course on these sites as part of the training program. It is wonderful for a new teacher who is working on her own without support of an institution. If you work in an institution and will have many classes online, you may want to consider a Moodle Partner for your hosting. Although I have never experienced a breakdown or security problem with keytoschool or ninehub, you have a guarentee with a Moodle Partner and of course pay for that. In addition, 10% of your fee goes to support the Moodle community and Moodle HQ development of new versions.

Be sure to support Moodle with a donation, too. Every little bit helps. smile

Regards,
Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Jez H -

It is interesting you mention Keytoschool and Moodle Partner together, the company behind keytoschool also run domains like moodlehosting.com, moodletutor.com, moodlethemes.com, all trademarked and to my knowledge they are not a moodle partner. Not sure if they have some kind of dispensation on that whilst they work toward becoming a partner, just something I noticed...

by Thomas Brown -

I started using Moodle last year. For the first two semesters I ran my own installation on my cheapo Godaddy account. I had administrative headaches and the install ran very slowly most of the time.

This semester I switched to Key to School, and have been very happy with it. The speed is far superior to my Godaddy install. I intend to give them a good donation at the end of the semester.

by John Grigutis -
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably give keytoschool a shot first. She teaches only two classes and they aren't very large (less than 10 students in each class).

If it becomes popular and other teaches want to try it, then maybe she can convince the principal to make a donation or fund a MP hosting provider.

Thanks again!

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've had a keytoschool account for over a year and never had any trouble http://joe.moodlehub.com. There's a great many modules and themes included...so for testing, I can't recommend better.
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Michael Raymond -
I have been using Key to School as well, but recently something has gone terribly wrong with their service.  The webpages aren't displaying (not just my computer, but students' and other teachers', too).  Without a proper display, the features on our Moodle page are useless. The frustrating thing about Key to School is that there is no contact person to ask about these problems and get help.  They have no email or phone number or even an address to write to.  I would not recommend them at this time until they fix the problems.
In reply to Michael Raymond

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Michael,

Could be any number of issues. my site is still displaying aok. Try giving Jai and email and see if he can't shed some light on the issue: jai@keytoschool.com

-Joe
In reply to Michael Raymond

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Michael,

Just checked my Keytoschool site and everything is working fine. I have gotten good response from Jai in the past, the main maintainer at KTS. Have you posted anything in the General Help forum? Here is the direct link... http://forum.keytoschool.com/moodle.html

Also, remember they depend on donations (I have given twice). smile

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
John,

You can use IT4ALL Moodle to create your classes/courses/workshops for free.

Warm wishes,
Nellie
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Zane Allford -
iTeach.org is something to do with Google sites. I signed up with it yesterday and after a few hours I received login instructions. THis took me to a site where I can create my own site.

However, I can't see how to install Moodle on it. Will have to do some more research.
In reply to Zane Allford

by Zane Allford -
Just ask the iteach people to install Moodle for you and everything is hunky dory!

by yucel tekin -
hi;

I have signed up for iteach.org ftp and mysql services. They sent me account credentials but mysql server address is missing.

Could anyone help me if he/she knows the mysql server address of iteach.org? I need it to set up Moodle on our iteach domain.

By the way, I asked the server address from iteach.org people but they didn't respond yet.

by Vishal Upadhayay -

Hi friends i have registered for moodle site on Keytoschool.com but my account is not activated yet.

Hw much time does it take to activate account???

by Peter Halverson -

iteach.org has a good, free moodle server.

I am now using it for my physics and chemistry classes.

by Stuart Mealor -

We have recently launched a completely free Moodle hosting option.

You can visit http://www.freemoodle.org and have a look around the documentation, read about why this has been created, its aims, and then join the community area.

One of the few conditions is that your course should be open for others, and you can't charge for the course.  So it's free Moodle hosting, for courses that are free for others.  You can however separate your own students from the public by using Groups and Groupings (an example might be for using Assignments).

This service does have some (understandable) conditions, but does come with the full backing of a Moode Partner, and no catches.  We think this is a really important development, and are looking for people who want to help too smile

Check it out !  (and maybe get involved?)

Stuart Mealor (Managing Director of HRDNZ, Moodle Partner)

by Margie Chase -

100% Free moodle subdomain hosting.  Private individual who believes that moodle is one of the best LMS.  Moodle is open source, and I am willing to share a subdomain for free! This offer is limited. (yourname.etutorhomelearning.com
Visit Us at:  http://etutorhomelearning.com.
contact me directly: administrator@etutorhomelearning.com

by Nigel Weeks -

Erm, just a heads up - Ninehub.com (mentioned above) is no longer using Moodle, but moving to Educadium.

-- might want to remove it from above post. smile