General help

Picture of Jonny Hope
Windows server: Apache Stopping randomly

Hi

I have installed the moodle for windows package onto our server (Windows Server 2008) on monday (fresh download to ensure the most up to date files).

I am getting the following error in the Apache log regularly:

---------

[3492] EACCELERATOR: PHP crashed on opline 0 of main() at D:\server\moodle\course\view.php:5
[Thu Mar 25 12:05:05 2010] [notice] Child 2084: Child process is exiting
[Thu Mar 25 12:05:07 2010] [crit] Parent: child process exited with status 3 -- Aborting.

---------

This is causing Apache to stop working and I need to manually restart it.

I have had a test server running for a few months now using the Moodle for windows package (however this was on windows server 2003) with no failures at all!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this problem as I am now stuck!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jake Mannik
Re: Windows server: Apache Stopping randomly

I am having the exact same issue, are you running server 2008? if so that might be our issue

Picture of Damon Lueck

I am having the identical same issue- get the same error randomly while doing menial tasks on the moodle site- like creating users or something. 

I do have windows 2008 server R2 running- there is NOTHING else on this server, no roles or services on the box aside fromt eh moodle install. I have tried setting the apache service to restart after failures but apparently that isnt working properly. I am seeing one other oddball error I think and it is this:

[warn] (OS 10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.  : setsockopt(SO_UPDATE_ACCEPT_CONTEXT) failed.

Maybe that is nothing to blink at, but seemed odd.

In any case- I need to solve this issue- moodle=worthless if it cant stay running for more than 5 minutes worth of use.

Thanks

Picture of Jason O'Brien

I know it's not a fix, but I've had good luck with IIS + FastCGI running moodle.

No crashes and we've been running it production for ~3 months now.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Michael Penney
Group Developers
To keep WAMP from crashing, I raise the memory limits in PHP - but I use WAMP only for development testing on my desktop, I'd recommend IIS with FastCGI for a site with any users in it:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_for_Windows_2003_with_IIS

Picture of Damon Lueck

OK- so Ive been playing with possible solutions...  this doesnt seem like the perfect answer- but I have configured a scheduled task to retsart apache every time it goes down, so if it does go down- it only goes down for a few seconds.

The scheduled task is set with a filter to see the apache 2.2 stopped error in the event log- below is the xml for th filter that will trigger the task to run.

<QueryList>

<Query Id="0" Path="System">

<Select Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Service Control Manager'] and (Level=4 or Level=0) and (band(Keywords,36028797018963968)) and (EventID=7036)] and EventData[Data[@Name="param1"]="Apache2.2"] and EventData[Data[@Name="param2"]="stopped"]]

</Select>

</Query>

</QueryList>

Once you add the above filter xml make sure that you choose to allow the task to be run whether or not anyone is logged in, and for the username, choose an admin on the machine itself. Or create a enw admin that will be used for this service to start. They KEY here is that you need to configure that user to have "log on as batch" rights, you can do that in local sec policy. if it doesnt have log on as batch- the tack will appear to run properly but will never start.

For the action or program to run on the event trigger- just choose to start a program, and in the program to start put in - "C:\Windows\system32\net.exe"  then in the box for starting arguments put in "start Apache2.2"

Then the next time apache stops for any reason- it will restart automatically- since the restart on failure doesnt work.

In the mean time- I hope there is a more permanent solution aside from using IIS and fastcgi. if I do need IIS- is there some directions newer than 7 years old? IIS in 2008 server looks nothing like 2003 server...???

Picture of Jason O'Brien

I haven't used these instructions but I've heard good things about them:

http://www.learninggateway.net/media/p/1481.aspx