Is there a way to fix oversized HTML Editor using CSS?

Is there a way to fix oversized HTML Editor using CSS?

i le Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm in the process of making a new theme from scratch, and hit on a problem with the HTML editor...see screen-shot below...

As you can see the text editor hangs over the right edge of the page making it necessary to have to scroll right to view the whole of the editor.

I've noticed this happen in a number of themes. Is this peculiar to the editor...or is it a design fault with the theme?

If it's the latter...which CSS element will I have to change to make the editor smaller?

Many thanks in advance...Mary ata
screen-shot
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Is there a way to fix oversized HTML Editor using CSS?

i le Itamar Tzadok -
The editor extends as much as it can and judging by the empty space on the right side of the toolbar the form in your theme allows it to extend. Try reducing the width of the form. In any case the minimum width is the width of the editor toolbar. If you want the editor width to be smaller than the toolbar you can set the width of .htmlarea to the desired, and set overflow .htmlarea .toolbar to auto. This will make the toolbar scrollable. Hope this helps. ata
Attachment htmlarea-scrollable-toolbar.png
In reply to Mary Evans

i le Itamar Tzadok -
Alternatively you can set the toolbar to display in multiple lines depending on the width you assign to the htmlarea:

.htmlarea{width:400px;}
.htmlarea .toolbar table td{display:inline-block;}

ata
Attachment htmlarea-short-toolbar.png
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

i le Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thank you Itamar, for these two pointers, I'll go and see which works best for me.
Many thanks again.

Mary
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

i le Mary Evans -
Your solutions worked, and in the process of finding and altering the relevant bits of CSS I found out quite a bit about the form setting and such and managed to change some items which have annoyed me for a long time!

So thanks for that too!!!

Mary