Working with 2 or more languages

Working with 2 or more languages

by Rimas Z. -
Number of replies: 5

How do I specify (unicode?) encoding if I am working with more than one language and charracter set so that Moodle would display one language for menus and different for my texts and exercises... The simplest example would be to make Russian and Polish be together in one page...

Rimas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rimas Z.

Re: Working with 2 or more languages

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is a tricky one.

See similar problems here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=448 (English/Japanese)

Most languages don't use unicode encoding currently ... you would have to re-encode the language packs, and change the string "thischarset" in each pack to "utf-8".

Someone else may know more about this ... why aren't we using unicode encoding already for all language packs?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Rimas Z. -

I changed all the language packs to windows-1257 (my favourite Baltic encoding), and it works just fine... except the problem that when I reopen a certain resource to edit it, sometimes I lose almost all the Lithuanian letters after saving it... Any ideas why? That might be my misconfiguration of the server, too...

I was also surprised that if I type things in WYSIWYG like Dreamweawer, and I paste the code into moodle page, I get some additional line breaks and then I need to remove them manually... Is there any way to make it look correctly from the very first attempt?

And the last thing. I was a little bit surprised that in current version the language packs are 50% of the entire moodle size - maybe it would be more convenient to have mainstream (English) version and International versions as two separate downloads...

Thanks, I do enjoy working with this great program.

Rimas

In reply to Rimas Z.

by John Gone -
I remove all the un-necessary langs and themes before I FTP to my site.
In reply to Rimas Z.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you're using HTML code, make sure you use the HTML format (not the Moodle auto-format, which deliberately adds the linefeeds).

I'm not sure about the encoding problem ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Rimas Z. -
I figured out the where the problem of encoding occurs: when I select source on the Richtext editor, paste the html text, and then deselect it, everything is fine. But if I decide to edit the same page and go back to the source, change something, and deselect the source to get the html preview, I  get some non-latin (= Baltic) charracters messed up. That suggests to do all the editing outside of the rich text editor, doesn't it?