HELP! Override permissions/roles

HELP! Override permissions/roles

by Lauren Hewlett -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I want to be able to give 'guest' type users who have no access to any courses, access to certain courses that we give them permission to view.

I have gone into the specific course that I want to give access to and have gone to 'override permissions'. I then changed the role so that it had the same permissions as a learner.

However, this didn't work and said that the guest user did not have permission to view the course.

Can anybody help please?!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lauren Hewlett

Re: HELP! Override permissions/roles

by Randy Orwin -
The question is do you want them to only view the items in the course or actually participate? If all you want is view access just go into your course settings in the Availability section and set the guest access to allow guests without the key and any guest should be able to view that course. If you want them to participate in stuff then it gets a bit more complicated. smile
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Lauren Hewlett -
Thanks for your reply. I do need them to be able to participate in the course! Is this possible?

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Lauren,

It isn't possible for a guest to completely participate in any course due to some restrictions in how the guest user is granted access. What types of activities do you want/need guests to complete. Knowing this will help us determine if what you want to do is possible.
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Lauren Hewlett -

We would need guests to view a module - the module is uploaded by us onto the moodle site and is usually made in either 'Articulate' or 'U-perform'. These modules usually contain some kind of interation from the user e.g. clickable graphics etc but obviously these are contained within the module so not sure if this makes a difference.

We would also then want the guest to complete a quiz/assessment. These are usually created in Moodle itself.

Thanks

Lauren. smile

by Randy Orwin -
Hi again Lauren,

Do you want to track these guest quizzes or is it just something that people can try? There are many discussions about guests using quizzes and it appears that there really isn't a good solution to this at the moment. There appears something in the works for sometime in the future but not now.