guests using choice module

guests using choice module

by Will Hatch -
Number of replies: 6
I created a course for a teacher, with guest access. The kids are supposed to choose their favorite book. I thought I had things set, but when the teacher tried to vote it said guests couldn't make choices. I found where in the admin area to grant guests permission to make choices. But now it doesn't seem to record the choice. I make a choice as a guest, log in as admin, and it says nobody has made a choice. What am I doing wrong?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Hatch

Re: guests using choice module

by Will Hatch -
solved. I just created a generic account called "student" and it seems to work now. Only problem is, that this user can only vote once. When I vote again, it just changes the users vote, but doesn't add to the tally. Anyone know how to make it so a user can vote more than once?
In reply to Will Hatch

by Robert Brenstein -
To collect multiple votes, you need multiple voting activities. Normally, each user has a single vote (choice), so voting again is expected to change the previous vote. You can rig multiple-choice solution using the database module me thinks.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Will Hatch -
What do you mean by "multiple voting activities"?
In reply to Will Hatch

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Will,

For each user's choice to be recorded individually they have to be each logged in with their own account. If you think about it, it can't be any other way. Moodle has no way of distinguishing between users if they all use the same "generic" account.

Cheers,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Paul Fynn -

Try Feedback:

Anonymous choices and multiple entries SHOULD allow users (and a shared ID) to enter more than once, and record each occasion.

However, the fly in the ointment is that the user that re-enters (or the second person using the shared ID) sees a message saying 'you have already completed this feedback' - but IS then allowed to make another entry.

In reply to Will Hatch

by Robert Brenstein -
If you want to get two separate votes, you need to set up two separate choice instances. If you want to allow making more than one choice within a single instance of activity, try the database module, as I said earlier. It has an option to allow multiple records per participant. Using a common userid for multiple people will still be problematic.