Assessment feedback not visible to students

Assessment feedback not visible to students

by alisha smith -
Number of replies: 10

Apologies in advance if this has been covered already- could not see existing thread.

In a new course that I've added to Moodle, students are asked to upload an assignment file. After grading and adding feedback, the students are unable to access their result/feedback- when logging in as a student it looks as if the assignment hasn't yet been graded.

I've set it up exactly the same as a number of other assignments so I'm at a loss as to whether or not I'm doing something wrong by mistake?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to alisha smith

Re: Assessment feedback not visible to students

by Chris Adams -
Hi Alisha,

I have a similar problem; my students don't get an automatic notification email if I've marked their work.

I understand the process should send the student an email with link to the feedback I've given them.

The ugly solution is to inform students the "auto-notifcation doesn't seem to be working" and they have to return to the Assignment Tool, to their specific assignment submission, click on it and THEN they can see the my feedback.

HTH,
Chris

In reply to Chris Adams

by Guy Truss -
Chris there is a check box on the feedback form that enables the send feedback this needs to be checked for the students to be notified. The other problem I have had is the students not updating their email account details and therefore not getting notifications.
Hope this helps
In reply to Guy Truss

by Chris Adams -
Hi Guy,

Notify box was ticked but no joy (see screenshot).

Chris.
In reply to Chris Adams

by Guy Truss -
Sorry then thats the end of my knowledge unless mesaging is turned of as an option in the security settings of the site?
In reply to Guy Truss

by ben reynolds -
Some site administrative settings need to be in place before the notices will go out. This has to do with the method of sending emails out. So, the first question to ask is whether any emails (e.g., from messaging & forums) are going out.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Chris Adams -
Thanks Ben.

If a forum is updated the students don't receive notification of this either.

Will investigate.

Chris.
In reply to Chris Adams

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Chris
It sounds like the mail cron is not turned on - your server administrator will need to fix this.
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Chris Adams -
Thanks Teresa, will pass this on to my admin.
Chris.
In reply to alisha smith

by ben reynolds -
Hi Alisha,
Advanced uploading of assignments requires that something be written in the feedback box before any files uploaded by the instructor will be made visible to students.
In reply to alisha smith

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Alisha

We used to have an issue where feedback wasn't able to be viewed unless a grade was entered but I'm sure that has been fixed and it sounds like you've added grades.

If the students are not seeing any marks or feedback when they view the assignment again the gradebook item for that assignment might be hidden. Check the gradebook View tab - User report - then select a student from the dropdown. If the item is grey it's hidden from them - you can see it as a teacher. To unhide the item click the eye show/hide icon next to the gradebook item on the Categories and Items tab.

If the gradebook item is not hidden there might be a permission problem not allowing the students to view their own grades. It sounds like other students are not having this problem in other courses so perhaps the permission has been changed for this course only, check for any overridden permissions via the Assign Roles link on the course Admin menu, Override Permissions, student.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa