Courses in various languages

Courses in various languages

by Pierre-Louis LAMBALLAIS -
Number of replies: 1
Hi,

New to Moodle, but old coder (ASM for 30 years, and PHP for more than 10 years), I'm working on a Moodle web site and see a "strange feature"...

When I create a course, I can change the language for that course. But, it seems we can't set a language for categoryies That's pretty bad!

My web site will have about 10 courses, available in 3 languages; meaning 30 courses.
Or course, I can build a multi-language course by using the LANG tag, but to update and correct the course, that's so-so.
The easiest way is to create Course-1 in English, copy it, translate and get Course-1 in French and so on.
But on my home page, I don't want the English user to see Portugues or French course. And actually, Moodle display everything... surprise

My opinion is that the easiest way would be to add a LANG field (eg. cat_lang schar(255)) in the course category database wih feature like that:
If empty, display for all languages. Else, the field contain a string with language codes, coma separated. So if you have only the french language code, you'll see the course in the summary, only if you are on French setting. But if you set, in the cat_lang, the language code for Portuges AND English, you will see, on the summary, this category if you are on Portugues OR English setting.

If this feature already existe, please tell me, or if someone made a hack for that... In case of "NO" answer, I will try to find a few hours to do that. sourire

Best regards
PL Lamballais (aka Fiercy-Rabbit)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pierre-Louis LAMBALLAIS

Re: Courses in various languages

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Pierre-Louis,

I do not think that this feature exists, and the hack you suggested seems to be the best way. However, this seems like a good feature to put into the core code whereby users do only see courses for their language if the course has a specific language set - try adding it as a suggested enhancement on Moodle Tracker - http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa.

With the hack, I do not know how you could update the course settings page content, something to ask in the development forum.

I hope this helps, regards,

Gareth