required parameter (id) was missing

required parameter (id) was missing

by Mike Jaroch -
Number of replies: 8
My server is Debian 2.6.26-2-686 Moodle 1.97 Mysql 5.05, I have root access. Max upload 8MB

I'm testing importing + exporting my glossary. Glossary XML file is 3.4MB created by the Moodle export function.

I made a "test course" and attempted to import the glossary.. I get "required parameter (id) was missing"

This is not a show stopper since I have tested dropping and restoring the db. Do I have to set all the preferences in the "test" glossary to be identical the original or is something else going on here?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jaroch

Re: required parameter (id) was missing

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mike,
This error message can mean anything. Maybe the glossary XML file you are trying to import is too big and you are getting a timeout on your server. Try with a smaller size. If your glossary does not contain sensitive data you could attach it to an e-mail to me (see my profile) and I would try importing it on my local moodle test install.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Jaroch -
Thanks for the offer. I see that the glossary is still saying max import size is 2MB even though the server is set at 8MB. I'll check into how I can change that.
In reply to Mike Jaroch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mike,
There are various places where the maximum upload settings are set : at admin level, at course level, on your moodle server... Please check all those settings.
However, I just set my test moodle course max upload to 10kb, tried to import a glossary that exceeded that size and I got a relevant error message:
Sorry, but that file is too big (limit is 10240 bytes).
That's what you should get upon importing your "huge" glossary.
Anyway, have you tried to import a smaller sample glossary?
Joseph

by Mike Jaroch -
Missed changing the upload size in the course. I was able to import a smaller glossary but not the linux glossary. I have sent the XML to you email addy. Thanks for looking at this.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Upon further private communication with the OP, the problem has been solved. The definition field of one of the entries in the original glossary contained some code which should not have been there in the first place and caused the consequent havoc.
Joseph

by Mike Jaroch -
Thanks for having looked at that for me. I did delete offending entry but I still can't export/import the glossary but now I know where to look. Most of entries are Linux Man/info pages and I think they were too big to begin with. So when I copied the text for bash, nmap and others they got cut off and some garbage must have been generated. Now I'm going back and deleting the entries that got chopped and I'm sure that ,if I don't give up first, I'll be able to import again. Next time I'll break up the longer entries.
In reply to Mike Jaroch

Re: required parameter (id) was missing Solved

by Mike Jaroch -
Solved. Deleted out a bunch of entries that were corrupt. import and export works now. I'll break down the big entries that caused the problem. Now I'm ready to migrate from mysql to postgresql and then on to 2.0.
In reply to Mike Jaroch

Re: required parameter (id) was missing Solved

by Mike Jaroch -
Yes I know my hardware should not be used as a server. Running AMD Athalon 2.0 Ghz 1.5GB ram 'old desktop' Debian, Moodle 1.97, APC, memcache 264 MB Mysql 5.0.51 . My glossary is mostly Man/info pages. The entries were getting cut off and on entries that only displayed a partial entry apache2 was using 99+ of the CPU. I was having import problems and deleted the long entries. This solved the problem. Thae largest entry that did not get cut off is 71Kb/ 1247 Lines of text. I MAY get some new to me HW soon and will switch to postgresql, lighthttpd with 2.0. The server is an older dell. 3GHz quad core Xeon, 4GB ram.

The learnig has been great. Thanks!