Export Quiz

Export Quiz

by Caryl Gordon -
Number of replies: 19

Hi everyone,

We are using version 1.9.5. Is there anyway to export a quiz into Word or a text format? I have tried exporting to the Gift format, but a lot of work would be needed to make it usable.

Also, it seems to me that only a category can be downloaded? Is there any way to export the questions contained in a single quiz?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Caryl Gordon
UNC Charlotte

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caryl Gordon

Re: Export Quiz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Caryl "We are using version 1.9.5. Is there anyway to export a quiz into Word or a text format?"

I'm puzzled why you would want to do that. An interactive moodle quiz would lose a lot of its functionalities and interest when reduced to paper format.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Caryl Gordon -

Joseph,

Well, some faculty want a paper version of the quiz for their files and some give a paper-based quiz to students with special needs. However, our campus does use Respondus and faculty are able to download questions to a Word file from WebCT Vista, so I guess it is just what they are used to doing.

Given the reasons above, I totally agree with you, but need to find a solution for the faculty used to working a particular way.

Thanks,
Caryl

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Cary,
I do this all the time. We use M/C questions exclusively. What you need to do is create a macro that cleans up the GIFT file. Great fun recording creative search and replace with wildcards . I think I tested 7 or 8 tiny macros before compiling them into one and I am still tweaking it after all these years smile I call the macro "Pretty GIFT".

Another handy macro is one to clean up a GIFT file for reimporting into a question category. My teachers like to use a question ending in a colon and we are still transitioning out of 1.5.3. Thus I change ":::" to "::". While I am at it change "a/an"
to "a-an" and delete any "[html]" .

I actually have another macro which is just like "Pretty GIFT" except this one adds standard comment lines we use in vetting after each question. Usually work with a paper copy of this and then go back and fill it in on the Word doc.

My Pretty GIFT macro produces something like:

//Question 1234 Why did the Moodle cross the road
Why did the Moodle cross the road?
= To say hello to Helen.
~~~~To give Bb a bad time.
~~~~To tell Chris a bad joke.
~~~~To tell Joseph a joke in French.
~~~~To import a PowerPoint at Lesson's house.

//Question 9876 Why was the Moodle orange

and so forth.

Hope this helps Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It's perfectly normal to want to download a bank of questions in an easy-to-read format, for example, in order to do an offline review of a complete set of questions to check for out-of-date data, spelling and grammar, terminological consistency, duplicate questions, correctness, completeness, balance, or a variety of other reasons.

If you export questions to Moodle XML format, you can go to a www.moodle2word.net, which allows you import Moodle XML files, and export them as Word files with each question as a structured Word table. More details at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=121707
It doesn't support images though.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Susan Mangan -
Excellent idea Eoin, I look forward to trying your quiz export to Word tool!! I can't agree with all of you enough on the export to Word, or print-friendly quiz feature. Having a paper copy to review is a must for a lot of our instructors, as well as having a paper copy ready for the students in the event that there is something wrong with the computers/internet, etc.

There is a current feature request open at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-348 if you want to vote.

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Caryl Gordon -

Everyone,

I just used Eoin's course and the Moodle to Word worked like a charm!!! Thanks so much for all your help!

Caryl

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Rhegan Phelps -
Caryl,

If your faculty are already using Respondus, why not just install the Respondus Moodle Module so instructors can download the questions directly with Respondus? (See http://www.respondus.com/download/moodleserver.shtml). This works with all question types in Moodle, not just multiple choice.

I use this feature all the time for printing make-up quizzes and for doing post-quiz reviews in class. I also like to keep a printed copy of my quizzes in case I have a technological melt-down!

Rhegan
In reply to Rhegan Phelps

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -
Where do you go in Moodle to export a quiz using Respondus after installing the module? I can't seem to find where to go.
In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Rhegan Phelps -
Tieku,

There are two pieces. First, you need to install the Respondus module to the Moodle server (which it sounds like you've done). Then, in Respondus 4.0 or higher, select the "Start" tab and choose "Moodle" from the pull-down list. Then switch to the "Retrieval" tab and use the "Retrieve Questions" wizard to download the quiz. (The first time you use Respondus with your Moodle server, you'll need to enter your URL/user/password for your Moodle server.)

To create a Word file from the downloaded quiz, go to the "Preview & Publish" tab and select "Print Options".

If you don't have Respondus 4.0, there is a free trial version on their website. It's pretty cheap to buy too.

Rhegan

by I B -
is the PHP source code still online?
I clicked here http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=101 but can't find it sad
In reply to I B

Re: Export Quiz (to Word)

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
The Moodle plug-in to allow you export questions to Word format is now available for anyone to download. At present, guest access is required to download the Zip file from
http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=101.
You will need administrator privileges on your own Moodle server in order to install it.

You can also use it to import questions from Word tables into Moodle.

by Rick Houghton -

Yo Eoin! 200 Euros a year is pretty steep to print a couple of tests though!

In reply to Rick Houghton

by Eoin Campbell -

I think I may not have expressed it very well, or you may not have read the details closely enough, but there is no cost to install the Moodle2Word plug-in  on your server and use it to export question banks to Word files. There is also an associated free Word template you can use to format the resulting Word files for either a paper test, or for editing and review.

A charge would arise if you wanted to use the plugin to import questions in Word into Moodle on a regular ongoing basis for all users of a site, however. For occasional use, you could just import the questions to the Moodle server at www.Moodle2Word.net, export them as Moodle Question XML, then import them into your own Moodle site.

by Patricia Ramsey -

Awesome resource!

Thank you so much!

I was able to import my test bank and print out a word document with choices in a table format...exactly what I needed! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Patti R.

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Erin Billy -
I'm trying to do this:

>Is there any way to export the questions contained in a single quiz?

Is there a way to do this? Or do I need to put all of the question from that quiz into its own category?

(A Google search brought me to this page.)

Thanks!
In reply to Erin Billy

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
E Billy:

Is there any way to export the questions contained in a single quiz?

No.

do I need to put all of the question from that quiz into its own category?

Yes.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Jeff Forssell -
I'm not sure about the cleanest way to do it, but it is possible to make a BACKUP of only a quiz in a course and restore that to somewhere else and the questions (and their corresponding categories) are imported there.

by Mike Lee -
Are you migrating to a different Moodle server?

If yes, you could export your current database to the new sever. This will carry over the whole quiz including the questions.